new to this,what projector?

fimmo

Standard Member
hi i've decided to upgrade from my sony 32" tv to a projector and screen.

what i would like is a recomendation of what projector to get? i only want to watch films on it and 99% of the time in 16.9 format.

got £1500 to spend on projector and screen. either that or go for a 50" lcd rear projection tv,samsung???

whats the pro's and cons of the rear projection tv or the projector?

cheers folks!

cyberheater

Basically, the only real negative with a PJ is that you really do need to view them in a fairly dark room to see them at there best. You can get gray screens that help with some ambient light but really, the darker the better.

Obviously, the big benefit is that huge screen. You can't bet it.

Why don't you keep your 32 inch tv for normal viewing and have a pull down screen with PJ for movie nights. The best of both worlds.

fimmo

Standard Member
thats what iwas planning on doing,having my normal tv for day to day viewing and projector for films here and there, just wanting some recomendatons for a projector/screen set up for the money i have

darkmavis

fimmo said:
thats what iwas planning on doing,having my normal tv for day to day viewing and projector for films here and there, just wanting some recomendatons for a projector/screen set up for the money i have
thats what i said.... i have 36" of real estate sized crt in the corner gathering dust... use pj for evreything now!!

K

knodell

discounttv seem very good but I'd think about whether you want to be ceiling mounting the projector or not with all the messing about feeding power and long signal feeds to it. A lot of projectors have to be mounted like this as they only have short range zoom lenses.

discounttv do the Panasonic 900 and the Hitachi 200 at very good prices and both can easily be mounted on a shelf above and behind your head as they have longish zoom lenses and lens shift to allow easy positioning. They are both recommended all over the place in mags etc and easily within your budget. You will need to have the room as dark as possible to get the best viewing.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom