New to this scene, looking for advice. (Amp / Speakers)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by xs2man, Sep 1, 2007.

1. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hi guys, I'm new to this scene, so please gimme a break, lol.

Basically, I'm on a strict budget (although I've already blown it with what I've seen, lol). But am wondering if this looks like a good first set-up?

Basically, I was originally thinking of a Marantz SR5001 Amp.

I was unsure of speakers, but I do love the sound I get from my Warfdale Diamond 7.1's so was thinking about them, but the hi-fi shop I was in suggested a set of Kef speakers (unsure of codes, sorry, all I got was the sub code, PSW 1000.2).

So I started to look around for some reviews etc... to see how they compared.

Anyway, having looked around for a while, I have seen another set-up, which I thought looked quite nice.

a pair of Wharfedale Evo2-30 floor standing main speakers
    Wharfedale Evo2-Centre speaker
    DFS rear speakers

matched to

Sony STR-DA1200ES strda1200es home cinema receiver

I only choose the receiver really because
    a) it was on a deal, and
    b) it had won so many awards.

So, even with that set-up I have blown my budget by aroud £300 (I can get the lot for £800, is that good?).

Well, this is my first "proper" stereo attempt and I aint got much of a clue really, lol. As it is my Decks go through a Technics (middle of their range) amp, and the afore mentioned diamond 7.1's and it sounds lovley. My TV goes through a cheap pioneer dvd surround system with the xbox 360's sound going through an optical cable for sound.

However, I am considering putting the pioneer and plasma (Hitachi) upstairs in my "straight" lounge, while downstairs in the "cinema" lounge, I'm wanting this set-up, with a projector, so I like the idea of AV switching, so I only have one cable for the AV going to the projector. (Although I did like the idea of the SR8001's twin hdmi so I could switch between outputs, that alone is more than my total budget, lol).

So, I think that's it, been as specific as I think I need be (current equipment, future uses etc...), so if anyone can advise if this is a good set-up, or point me in the direction of a better set-up (links / pm's to where i could get good deals on this would be nice), it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Stewart

2. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Oooops. Forgot to mention the room size. Well, it'll be in ft and inches coz I aint measured it proper yet, but its 31' by 16'8 approx.

Cheers

edit: No-one wanna comment? No suggestions to possible changes? Is this good enough then?

3. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Ok. Got another couple contenders for the Amp.

PIONEER VSX917V HOME CINEMA RECEIVER

or

DENON AVR1907 HOME CINEMA RECEIVER

Not sure if I can find better speakers for my budget, but I am toying with the idea of this :

ONKYO TXSR605E HOME CINEMA RECEIVER

or maybe even

YAMAHA RXV461DAB HOME CINEMA RECEIVER

Somebody must have had some experience / opinions on some of these amps. At the end of the day, its the Amp I'm stuck on. Please help...

4. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Any of those amps are good. The Sony is available for £299 at Richers at the moment, which I think is pretty good.

If you like your Wharfdales, I'd look at building a set around them. Get the matching center and rears if you can. Their sub is also a goody (about £250 I think)

5. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Yeah, the set up I was going for has the 2 floorstanding, a centre and a set of small rears. No sub as yet though, but that'll have to wait.

6. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Ok, so might change my mind again, i should relly make my mind up, lol.

So I was thinking of getting cheaper speakers and a more expensive amp, but not by much admittedly.

So now thinking of going for the ONKYO TXSR605E HOME CINEMA RECEIVER because it seems to support the zone 2 (which might prove usefull) and the fact that EVERY review I've ever read for it says its a belter for the money (plus I don't really like Sony too much, it was just the awards it received.).

So I'm gonna go for the WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM as this is a nice looking 5.1 surround system, and I will upgrade at a later stage, to the floorstanding speakers making it a 7.1 system (or maybe use the 2 spare 9.1's for the zone 2??)

The problem I saw with the first speaker system is that it didn't include the sub, but this does, and has full bookshelf sized rears instead of them little ones.

What like is the reliability on this set-up? I was wondering if it was going to be worth the extra £100 for 3 years warrenty?

Anyway, that should be it for now. Any comments welcome.

7. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Well, taken the plunge. Got the speakers in, and managed to get a cracking deal (I think) on the receiver.

Got the Onkyo 705 for £500. Picked it up today, got the speakers through the other day, so its all hooked up at a mates house just now (Couldn't wait, moving end of month, and no room at current house).

Its a temporary set-up, and don't really have the cables hooked up yet (Using my mates POOR quality speaker cables, they are thinner than a piece of paper, and audio RCA leads for the component video to the projector) but is working. The sound is good despite this.

It'll be a couple months before the set-up is properly installed, but hey, its here, lol.

Now I gotta find a good DVD player that does audio well aswell.....

8. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Get one of the denon dvd players if you aren't going hd but it seems a shame wit your new set up and capability for hd sound. Have you got a ps3? They are excellent with blu ray.

Toshiba have already got 2 hd dvd players out but are apparently bringing a new one out soon that has the benefits of the expensive one but is much cheaper.

Good luck!

9. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Nah, aint got a PS3 yet. Would get one IF they would be as good a DVD/CD player as a £150 dvd player, but don't REALL need one as a games console as I can't see the advantage over my xbox 360 (+ HD DVD), games wise. I also have a Wii so am sorted for that.

10. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Since the recent updates the PS3 is now an excellent upscaling DVD player IMO. To future proof yourself a bit I'd go with something that does LPCM over HDMI so the onkyo 605 would be a good investment.

11. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I already got the Onkyo 705, so well chuffed. Just looking for a good dvd player / cd player now. But like I said, I got a xbox 360 with HD DVD so duno if its gonna worth further investment in more equipment.

12. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    If you've got a 705 you could get some serious audio out of a PS3, I've just bought the 605 hopefully delivered tomorrow.

13. JD20

JD20
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Where did you get the 705 for £500 if you don't mind me asking ?

14. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    PM sent ;)

15. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    Fancy sending me one too please? :smashin:

16. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    LOL. I take it that was a good deal then?

PM sent ;)

17. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Check out this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528324

Thanks to a firmware update a couple of months back, the PS3 is now a seriously respected DVD player. Furthermore, the recent announcements about PlayTV makes the PS3 as a central video machine even more appealing imho. Check out the video here: http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/play-tv-on-ps3-explained-292541.php

I'm loving my PS3. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

18. mat1110

mat1110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    can you please pm it to me

19. jays705