• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New to the Wii U

internetuser

Prominent Member
Well, bite the bullet thanks to Mario kart and ordered a 2nd hand 8gb wii u from game, cheapest I could find was £129. But Game store credit covered that. CEX wanted nearly £170 ! as did game instore.

For multi player games is it just Wii motes I need for multi player action ? I am thinking Super Mario World 3D, and Super Mario Bros U and possible Nintendo land (oh and of course Mario kart).

Do I need the Nunchuck or the Motion Plus for them ? Or even a sensor bar ?

Any other extras or add ons I need to buy ?

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Wiimote's are essential for multiplayer, nunchucks would depend on the specific game.
As far as I'm aware most WiiU games that utilise a Wiimote require motion plus, but again will be game specific so either a Wiimote with motion plus built in or a standard Wiimote and Motion Plus adapter maybe needed.
A sensor bar is only needed for pointing purposes so will depend on the WiiU game being used, you will defo need one if you intend on using the Wii side of the console.

Last edited:

Tooms

Prominent Member
A Pro pad can be used for some games too, but yes a wiimote is definitely needed. The wii mote doesnt have to be wii plus. I dont have all wii plus remotes and the old basic ones work fine on games that dont need the plus feature. Mario 3d world doesnt need it.

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Should be on the case, but you'd be better off just getting a Wiimote with motion plus built in(which should be pretty much all official Wiimote's on sale now as new,especially WiiU branded ones) so you've then got it covered if you do need motion plus.

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
the newer wiimotes have the motion plus built in anyway so it may be better going for one of those.

kopchoir

Banned
Picking up mario kart tomorrow and my free game haven't decided which one yet probably Zelda.
Are ninty doing and free game promotions for buying a wiiu premium.
Picked up the mario and bonus luigi pack.

Det

Distinguished Member
Picking up mario kart tomorrow and my free game haven't decided which one yet probably Zelda.
Are ninty doing and free game promotions for buying a wiiu premium.
Picked up the mario and bonus luigi pack.
I'm planning on doing this very soon.

Det

Distinguished Member
Now the proud owner of a Wii-U. Well... come Wednesday I will be. Well... to be more accurate my "kids" will be the proud owners come Wednesday. They just won't know it until I load up one of the Mario games and push them away while they whine and cry because I won't let them play. I'll laugh maniacally. They'll cry some more. I'll send them to their rooms for being impatient. I'll play some more. They'll cry some more. I'll laugh more...

It's gonna be a good hump day. ;)

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
Now the proud owner of a Wii-U. Well... come Wednesday I will be. Well... to be more accurate my "kids" will be the proud owners come Wednesday. They just won't know it until I load up one of the Mario games and push them away while they whine and cry because I won't let them play. I'll laugh maniacally. They'll cry some more. I'll send them to their rooms for being impatient. I'll play some more. They'll cry some more. I'll laugh more...

Congrats on the new purchase m8 but, I'm rather worried about the psychopathic behavior you're showing towards your kids :rotfl: what on Earth are you thinking man?

You heard the phrase, 'what goes around, comes around' :rotfl: I see a Det eventually being the one whining n crying when the Kids are beating his ass at Mario Kart 8 - you'll be back to PS4 sooner than you think :D

Det

Distinguished Member
Lol. It's all in good fun though!

Det

Distinguished Member

Figured I'd update you guys on how this all played out. Proud to say it was a successful prediction. If you were wondering.

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Figured I'd update you guys on how this all played out. Proud to say it was a successful prediction. If you were wondering.

Nice to know that Det and welcome fully to the Wii u family. Next step get online and have some AVF MK 8 shenanigans!

Det

Distinguished Member
They'll thank me for it one day.

Det

Distinguished Member
Nice to know that Det and welcome fully to the Wii u family. Next step get online and have some AVF MK 8 shenanigans!
My game time is so sporadic I'm not sure this will ever happen. I haven't even had a real chance to sit down and play anything yet.

kopchoir

Banned
My game library grew by 2 more games this weekend yet to play them though.
Pikmin 3
Monster Hunter 3

To go along
New super mario brothers and luigi u
Mariokart
Zelda
Zombie U

SM3D world next on my list along with a pro controller anymore exclusives I need to think about.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
My game library grew by 2 more games this weekend yet to play them though.
Pikmin 3
Monster Hunter 3

To go along
New super mario brothers and luigi u
Mariokart
Zelda
Zombie U

SM3D world next on my list along with a pro controller anymore exclusives I need to think about.
I've also got Lego City Undercover & Wonderful 101. Both very fun games.
Have a look here for some more ideas :smashin:
Wii U Buyers Guide | AVForums

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
Bought a wii u for my kids, with mario kart 8, and 2 extra controllers, downloaded nintendoland as the free game. Good fun so far.

Probably a stupid question but how did I charge the wii u controllers? They didn't come with a cable just batteries, they have build in rechargeable battery don't they? What is best solution for charging.

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Bought a wii u for my kids, with mario kart 8, and 2 extra controllers, downloaded nintendoland as the free game. Good fun so far.

Probably a stupid question but how did I charge the wii u controllers? They didn't come with a cable just batteries, they have build in rechargeable battery don't they? What is best solution for charging.
I gather your talking about the Wiimote's rather than the Gamepad?
If so then they just use normal batteries and a free to use whatever AA batteries you wish.
If your referring to the Gamepad then that has a pre-installed rechargeable battery which should have a charging cable/power unit.

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
I gather your talking about the Wiimote's rather than the Gamepad?
If so then they just use normal batteries and a free to use whatever AA batteries you wish.
If your referring to the Gamepad then that has a pre-installed rechargeable battery which should have a charging cable/power unit.

Yes the wiimotes, so no battery in those, and the connection at the bottom is for add-ons like the numchuk?

Gamepad came with a dock - bought the premium mario kart 8 set.

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Yes the wiimotes, so no battery in those, and the connection at the bottom is for add-ons like the numchuk?

Gamepad came with a dock - bought the premium mario kart 8 set.
Correct, just buy some rechargeable batteries and a charger if you don't already have one.

kopchoir

Banned
Just picked up SM3D world

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom