1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the Forum - Hitach 42PD5200 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Hudson, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

I have just joined the forum after months of looking over the posts, i currently have a Sony 50ES receiver, Sony 725 DVD player, Tannoy 635 fronts, Tannoy 622 Centre, Tannoy 631se rears, and a Phillips freeview box.

You will note i do not have a screen ! I was on the verge of buying a 36'' CRT tv when i started reading the debate on Plasma/LCD/CRT, and have come to the conclusion that CRT (at 36'' anyways) looks like a dead technology, so have decided to go the route of Plasma.

Given cost, review, size, and if it can accept a digital feed i have opted for the Hitachi noted in the title. Given a £2,000 budget, is this about the best i can get ? Also my DVD player has a component output but it is not progessive just interlaced, would i still be better connecting with these rather than RGB scart, i am getting all sorts of weird and wonderful answers from the shops. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. :)

Also, i am saying sorry in advance if i do not reply straight away as i have no home PC and have to use the one at the gym :mad:

2. jonslon

jonslon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Briefly, component will look MUCH better than SCART, interlaced or non-interlaced. The DVI input of the Hitachi 42PD5200, like many other plasmas, will only accept specified digital inputs at set frequencies, so you will need to check that the resolution AND frequency you need to use is directly supported.

But do check the Hitachi thread and also search for Hitachi and DVI on the forum, there's lots of detailed info about this on here.

Personally I like the 5200, it is a lovely screen when fed with component (RGB can look a little flat) and is capable of a brilliant picture.

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Bear in mind that this panel will not be fully compatible (according to Skys recent implied announcement)with Sky High def broadcasts as DVi input will not accept 720p@50hz only at 60hz. I was close to buying the same screen but have decided to wait a while longer until more HDMI screens become available at a price I can afford.

4. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    if this panel is not going to be sky hd compatable why are they(sky) selling it

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Precisely ! The truth is that until Sky actually come up with the goods sometime in 2006, nobody can be 100% sure what the standard will be. Nothing is set in stone. Don't worry too much about HDTV - it will be at least 3 to 4 years before there is a decent amount of material to watch.

6. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Careful here. HD contents is soon to be - if not already - available, it's not 5 years away by any stretch of the imagination:

-> WMV-HD DVD's (can be read on PC/Mac only today, but DVD players out soon/already?)
    -> HD1/HDForum Sat HDTV channels. Not much there, granted. Still it is HDTV and a great pic! (1080i50 btw). They broadcasted a live J-M Jarre concert in Beijin recently.
    -> HD-DVD and BluRay players and recorders set to debut around the e/o 2005
    -> SkyHD (and BBC) set to debut in 1st half 2006. World Cup 2006 on the horizon (footie)
    -> If you have a PC or Mac: huge amount of HD trailers, clips, show cases, recorded sports events, movies, ... available on the Net (newsgroups, Web sites, P2P, ...)
    -> DVD players today can upscale regular DVD's (576 lines) to 720p or 1080i. Not true HD, but better than SD/ED
    -> XBox runs at 720p today
    -> what? Not enough yet...? :D

Point is this: most people who let out 2,000£ or more to buy a TV probably have in mind to keep it at least 5-6 years, if not more. If you're in that camp, then you need to seriously consider HDTV compatibility. Otherwise you're almost certain to miss out on quite some nice "stuff" coming up...

At a minimum, we definitely, absolutely do know that NOT having an HDCP compliant digital input will get you down to about 0.01% chance of being able to view HD contents on your TV. So why take the chance? :confused:

Btw, the Hitachi PD5200 series at least buy you that (DVi-HDCP input), and in fact do support HDTV 1080i50 as well as 720p60 and 1080i60. Not bad if you ask me.

7. WRX.CO.UK

WRX.CO.UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hudson,

I am in exactly the same position myself and made my mind up to go for the 42PD5200 myself. But after reading "High Definition for Europe — a progressive approach" from the European Broadcasters union they seam to be dead set on 720p @ 50Hz which the 42PD5200 does not support. I also do not agree with some that video processors will be able to translate 50 - 60 hz when the signal will be encrypted by HDCP.

http://www.ebu.ch/trev_home.html

Lee.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    peezee, where are you getting this info from ? The BBC themselves say that they don't have a launch date for HDTV, and (as far as I'm aware) Sky are only saying "2006" not "first half of 2006" ??? Link

Sure, the World Cup 2006 will be broadcast, but maybe not in the UK :thumbsdow

As far as Euro1080 is concerned, it's 98% rubbish, unless you happen to like travel documentaries.
    This weekend you can even watch a funeral in HDTV - can't wait.

I'll give it a miss for now, thanks :)

9. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: :laugh:

... what? It's not funny? Ooops... :blush: :D

P.S. Nick, pls re-read the par. starting with "Point is". I'm talking about people who will NOT want or be able to upgrade they TV gear in 2 years. Not even in 4 years for that matter. And I give them a "minimal recommendation" for purchasing a plasma screen today.
    What do you recommend them to do then?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This is perfectly possible, right here, right now. There are drawbacks but it works now, fact.

11. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have the 5200 plasma, and until there is something concrete from SKY I wouldn't trust speculation. i find it very hard to believe that SKY won't support as many as possible, especially their own customers who have opted for the SKY screen. It seems to me that there is alot of scaremongering going on without concrete proof.

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'm not recommending anything, except maybe rent a set ?

What I have been saying for some time is that people should stop speculating, because a speculation in one thread becomes a fact in the next.

13. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for all that, it has given me a lot to think over, i will not be in a postition to buy the set until the 5th of March (Shares coming up from work :clap: ), and i doubt very much will change in terms of concrete specs around Sky and HDTV, So i will make my decision on the 6th of March :confused: Given the HDTV debate and the future regarding HD DVD it seems that every year a new ''must have'' digital format comes into the sweet shop, there just never seems a good time to jump in. But thank you again for all your help, i will search the forum for all the info i can on DVI and the 5200, I did call Hitachi and they did tell me that the 5200's DVI input is HDCP compatiable but i did not even think to consider the Hz value of an signal, cheers again. :)