• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New to Subwoofers - Help Please!

jezzer256

Established Member
I'm thinking of buying a sub to complete my 5.1 setup. However, I know nothing about them at all!

How much should I be looking to pay for a half-decent sub? I mean, is £200 no way near enough?

Bear in mind my room isn't massive, and as you can see from the sig, the other speakers aren't particularly powerful.

Jez

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
£200 could well be enough, it depends what you want.

You could get the likes of a Mordaunt short 309, which, whilst it won't plumb the absolute depths like more expensive subs, will give you a fair bit extra with music and probably a good chunk more with HT too.

Of course, the more you can spend, the better and £400ish gets you serious bass. If you can run to that, that's what I'd be considering.

But yes, you can get decent results with £200 :smashin:

namuk

Distinguished Member
do not but a yam :) they were good in there day but no now .

for £200 you can get a dam good sub theses days

jezzer256

Established Member
Do you think a £400 sub is out of proportion with the rest of my speakers? After all, they're not exactly the most expensive speakers on the planet...

Jez

ab1385

Established Member
It certainly won't hurt to have a better subwoofer than you speakers, put it that way. Then again, I don't think a £400 is massively excessive paired with 601s anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom