1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Sky should I wait until 1st September?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Toyotasupra, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Toyotasupra

Toyotasupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I don't currently have sky and am thinking about getting the family pack for £19.50 a month with the first three months half price and free installation until the end of August.

As some of you may know sky's pricing structure is changing on the 1st September. Does anyone have any views on whether its better to wait until September's offers are announced or go with the current deal? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's very doubtful that the "value" of new customer offers will decrease however they probably will change and no way to say if the new offer/s will be more attractive to you then the current one. Free install is probably never going to go away but it unlikey to be offered on anything less than the family pack or as it will be the entertainment pack under the new structure.

I would recommend going down the SKY+ route but if you are not bothered about sports or movies the additional £10 a month would be an issue:(

3. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Have a good look at the mixes packages, see what you could live without. You could get sky for as little as £15 per month. if you want sky+, thats a different matter, I as yet dont know how mixes will effect sky+

Either way, Id wait until sept, its only a fortnight

4. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the restructuring goiing to effect people like me who want the sports but not the movies? Will you be forced to pay for both?

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The new packages are supposed to be more versatile. The bone of contention is that Sky have hinted that the new packages will only be available to new customers for the first few months.

6. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I'm the same looking to Sky + now phone line sorted :smashin:
    Also which Digi box should I be looking out for , the best box to try and get if can .

One last thing when the HD sky comes along would we have to change the dish and cable :confused: :D , would rather not have to change when SH sky is hear .

:)

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Unless you buy your own box privately and have it installed, there's not a lot of choice in boxes. It's mainly pot-luck what you get if you order from Sky.

8. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37

Yeah I know pot luck , sometime the sky guys have a few in the back of the van . Which one should I look for .

Also if I went into say currys could I get the same deal sky direct or offering

:D

9. Toyotasupra

Toyotasupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to wait until September and see what they offer.
    It does annoy me that its pot luck as to you which box you get though!

Bionic man don't quote me on this but I seem to remember when looking at sky in comet that the offer wasn't as good as if you go direct to sky themselves. In fact the offers are sometimes slighty better online than in the papers etc.

10. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Do I understand that comment correctly?

When taking up Sky's 'free box, free dish, free installation' offer, you will be annoyed if you are not given the choice of which box they give you?

11. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I ended up with an Amstrad, I think most people do now. It works ok, just a little slow. If it breaks down after next month, then they will have lost a customer, I am not going to replace it and I am not going to pay for Sky insurance. It is only anormal box anyway, no way would I bother with Sky+, unless they knock the £10 a month charge off.

Better to wait until September, to see what happens. Nick_UK, you say that Sky will not allow existing customers to change onto the new package. You phone them after September, and tell them you want the new package, if they say you can not have it, then tell them, you want to cease. They will either change their mind or do you an offer.

12. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I just got one of the amstards as a replacement under extended warranty.

The sky engineers coming today to give me a better box, i dont care what make, the amstrad box is unaccceptable. Its a downgrade in quality and perfomance from the grundig box it replaces.

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    (By the way, we're talking Sky+ here.) The lovely people in Customer Services will tell you anything to make a sale.

"You want a Pace V2 box, Sir ? Of course, I'll put that on the order".

Then the guy turns up with an Amstrad.

The preferred box at the moment is the Pace V2. It is supposed to be the most reliable, and it is easiest to put a bigger drive into. Amstrad's should be avoided, because they have a host of niggling problems. Sky+160's have problems with digital sound output. There is now a Pace V3 in circulation, but that is so new, there is no feedback on it yet, so it could be brilliant, or it could be a lemon.

So, the people at Sky will promise you the earth, and you'll still only get what the installer has been allocated for the job, so it's still "pot luck" :)

14. Toyotasupra

Toyotasupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Its the comments like this about the Amstrad box's that one of the main reason's I don't like the fact its pot luck as to which box you get. :(

The box isn't really free as your paying for it in the months to come just like a free mobile phone on a 12 month contract. You can choose which phone you want so I think it should be the same for the sky box perhaps even if that means paying a small fee for the best boxes?

By the way ad47uk if it wasn't for the £10 charge for Sky+ I would go for it without a doubt. I don't mind the £89 charge for the box but the £10 a month extra just because you don't like sport and aren't interested in the movie channels just seems wrong to me espically as most channels repeat every program about 4 times a day. ;)

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Since the new SKY+ looks like it will be replacing both the standard 40gig models from Amstrad and PACE if you wait until that box becomes part of the advertised offers then you can't go wrong.
    You will be ordering that STB with it's increased storage capacity at the same price as the current models are being offered at.

If you wanted a PACE 40gig model then the best bet would be to go to an authorised dealer who may be in the position to offer the same incentives to sign up although online direct sales from SKY tend to be a little cheaper.

However that is besides the point if you don't want SKY+ :)

SKY consider all the digibox models to be the same since they are built to the same basic spec and you get them free of charge which is why you do not have the option to pick and choose unless like SKY+ you go to a dealer who may or may not be able to offer SKY packages.

16. Toyotasupra

Toyotasupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  17. coopermanyorks

coopermanyorks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yep, long term that is the only way to go with the SKY+ sub being included in all subscription packages to improve their value especially now the non-premium packages will be a little more flexible.

Personally SKY+ has been worth every penny:)

19. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The engineer gave me a nice new(refurbished) pace box, fast as lightning and smaller then the grundig. He also said he would never give out any amstrad box, they are all too old and slow.

20. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think this thread is getting confused between people talking about Sky boxes, and people talking about Sky+ boxes. :rolleyes:

21. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My Amstrad is only a standard box, not Sky+. The picture is ok, it is just as good as my mates Pansonic, the only problem is speed, my mates Pansonic show the guide in double quick time, mine takes ages to display it. Text is not much better, that is also slow and quicker on my mate Pani. I normally use analouge text anyway or the Freeview box, since the Freview box is faster than any sky box.

Apart from the speed, I am happy enough with the Amstrad and I think they will use Amstrads more often, maybe they are cheaper to buy for Sky.

22. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

The Amtrad is not too bad, it is just a little slow, that is all. When the bloke came to install it, I said to my mate, I hope it is not an Amstrad.

It is not that I don't like sport, but the price is too high and also most of the sport is Football, and I hate Football. As for movies, I find it is better value to use a postal DVD rental service, I use Sainsburys, which are not bad, but Tescos do one as well for the same price. Maybe I should not have told you about Tescos :). The point is for £13 a mopnth, I can have 3 DVDs at any one time and can have as many as I want in the month, as long as I can get the disks back quickly.

Even if you get 3 disks a week, it is cheaper than renting from a retal store, but I gets more than that, I can get two lots per week at least5.
    the great thing is, you pick what you want, not what Sky movies want you to watch. I looked at Sky movies this week in the Tv mag and if I subscribed to it, I may have watched about two films this week.

23. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sky says it would reduce curn rate. It would not stop me from ending my subscription. they may give the box away free, but I bet they will still charge £10 a month for the Sky+ subscription, I would still not be interested.

At the end of the day, I have got a Thomson PVR, which records from the Freeview channels and a Pioneer DVD/Hd recorder, which is used for the Sky box, I can not see myself having any need for a SKy+ box, free or otherwise.

24. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    All I can say is that if you don't want to get hooked, don't get a Sky+ box, because you will be once you've got one :smashin: