New to shooters, need pointers.

Del Boy Smiffy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I'm not really a shooter type of gamer but I'm giving it a go:thumbsup:

For online free for all(don't even know what your meant to do in the other game modes) what would you say are the best guns to use? I currently have an Enfield but I'm getting murdered big time.

What's the best gun for a newbie?
What's the best style to adopt?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Is there an AVF group for poor players?:D

I'd use the M16 over the Enfield tbh, if you can put a silencer on it, all the better!

If you are that way inclined you could use combat training mode to learn the maps etc. But I always found just getting stuck in to be a bit more fun :)

Enfield is crap for FFA, the Rate of Fire (ROF) is too slow and you'll get hammered. SMG's are good for FFA because of how spawning works and the amount of Close Quarters Combat (CQ) it entails. Although if you're a tactical patroller, a good Assault Rifle (AR) will do you well (try out the FAMAS or the AUG).

Best gun for a newbie: MP5K & AK74u are probably the best SMGs stats-wise. But AR's are probably more suited to beginners due to them having less recoil.
Best style to adopt: Whichever one you prefer. If you want to camp it up in a corner and that's fun for you, then do that, but most people tend to Run & Gun (R&G) or Tactically Patrol areas.

Also, try Team Deathmatch (TDM) or Mercenary (which is TDM but without clans). It's basically the same as FFA but you have teammates to help kill and watch your back. I find it's easier to learn your way around maps and get a feel for the game by playing TDM when you're first starting out.

Yeah Team Death Match is the best for new starters.

Other points:

Learn the maps, by far the most important thing

Pay (a lot of) attention to the radar/area map in the top corner of your screen.

Mostly though just enjoy the game, some games you will get battered, but it's all fun. The game hasn't been out too long (BLOPS) so lots of newbies on there anyway.

I'm often on COD, so dont mind playing if you want: psn is rexel1

It's all about practise mate, MW2 was my first shooter and I got pasted for a while. The more you play the more you'll improve.

Gunwise try the AK74U with the Warlord perk, and attachments as grip and extended mags. That reduces the recoil and gives you more bullets before reloading, so spray away :laugh:

If you play a bit more carefully then the Galil with silencer is a very good medium-long range weapon. Again I use it with extended mags, a lot of people use the Red Dot Sight (RDS) but I find if you can use the iron sights on the majority of guns you can benefit from a more useful attachment.

Famas imo is one of the best assault rifels you can unlock fairly early on. I would say don't sprint round corners is my best tip.

Last edited:
And try to control the urge to get the gun up and ads when in close quarters, just hipfire and spray away. It will save you countless times as you're already firing while they're raising the gun.

Dang Det. Acronyms. :laugh:

If the OP was just some random txt speaking new guy I would of LOLed for a good amount of time had you just used ROF and CQ.

@OP: FFA is fun, and its a solid game mode for learning the ropes but can be frusterating getting shot at from all directions if you wander into the wrong spot. I'd say give TDM a try as half the guys are friendly and won't try to put a bullet in you and it isn't objective based. Plus the best way to learn is to follow someone elses lead.

ADS: Aim down sights...(L1)

if it's black ops you're playing then my advice would be to do a fair few combat training matches so you can get to learn the maps and guns. I'd say the m16 is not ideal as the 3 round burst leaves you wide open to a spanking if you miss the first shot or 2. Go for the mp5k to start with

Famas imo is one of the best assault rifels you can unlock fairly early on. I would say don't sprint round corners is my best tip.
Heh, I've found that the person who sprints around corners (or just walks around them) has a distinct advantage over someone who is sitting there camping ADS at the doorway. Something to do with the lag I presume, but everytime I've come in a doorway I'll see a guy and kill him before he starts shooting.

And if I'm ever in a position where I'm trying to trick the opposition and run around a doorway and put my back to the wall to kill them when they pop round the corner, they round it and shoot/knife me after I had clearly seen them first and start firing (on my screen) but the killcam shows me sitting there for a good second or two before I start firing.

Heh, I've found that the person who sprints around corners (or just walks around them) has a distinct advantage over someone who is sitting there camping ADS at the doorway. Something to do with the lag I presume, but everytime I've come in a doorway I'll see a guy and kill him before he starts shooting.

And if I'm ever in a position where I'm trying to trick the opposition and run around a doorway and put my back to the wall to kill them when they pop round the corner, they round it and shoot/knife me after I had clearly seen them first and start firing (on my screen) but the killcam shows me sitting there for a good second or two before I start firing.

Agreed, i've noticed this many times.

lol never run around a corner while sprinting because it takes longer to aim down sight after sprinting unless you have steady aim pro which helps to aim down sight after sprinting.

play against bots in combat training or go to a private match and learn the maps.

I wouldn't even practice. Just dive straight onto team deathmatch and take your initial ass kicking like a man. Best way to learn imo. Within a week of solid play you should of learnt a few if the maps and some good spots on each that will get you success. On TDM you will soon notice that certain areas of maps are frequented more than others so you can start laying some nice traps like claymores and decoys.

One thing though! ALWAYS watch your back!

Another huge way to improve your game is straffing while firing. On MW2 I used to use use the R3 stick to move my camera view to aim whilst firing. However, on Black Ops I have been straffing to aim. Straffing is using the L3 stick to move left and right. This has improved my scoring significantly. The two main benefits are that you are moving left and right, as oppossed to be be stationary (and therefore harder to hit), and your gun stays at the same height rather than going up and down and missing the target. Try it and you will see a big imporvement.

i wouldnt reccomend FFA, TDM is better as you have more ppl to take hints off, more killcams and you can look at the way the teams going for hot spots and places to avoid etc, a massive way i play is looking for the skulls, if theres a skull theres someone to kill in that direction! either way youll learn quicker jumping in to TDM but you will have to take some licks learning the maps!! also this game is currently broken (spawns mainly) you will get munched from behind from time to time.. but we all are atm!

Maybe worth capturing all those ideas into one; maybe Det could do a better job, but a start (and adding some tips):

- use a quick draw weapon (SMG) for FFA matches.
- I'd personally add a silencer, as it won't hinder too much at close quarters and will not give away your position as you take half an hour to line the opposition guy up and take a few pot shots at him.
- I'd also add Slight Of Hand perk, it will quicken reloads of your ammo.
- The Famas is a good, accurate, assult rifle for the new guys should you want something a little longer range.
- dont run around a corner; do run. All in all, expect an enemy around every corner; I come around by brining up the sights just as I peek round; getting to know the maps you'll have a good idea where to look/aim to.
- try different tactics; copy ideas and sometimes try your own weird ideas; jump out a window, sit behind a bin, do whatever you like; most of all enjoy it.

Practice = giving it time = learning = better
- public games are the best fun, but maybe try the Training mode a few times; different difficulty settings and will get you into the swing, and you'll get a much easier time on the easy setting. It will help teach you gun characteristics, perk styles etc, without getting hammered by the public folk. And theres no lag.
- alternatively play some private matches with mates who are easy going.

- Kzacsa is right; change the game mode. TDM and some of the objective games (Demolition, Headquarters) can take the heat off you, as all your team mates run to an area, you can just follow and pick up the pieces. Must admit enemies might spawn behind you in Black Ops though, so keep a keen eye. Demolition should give you an easy chance to mince around and learn the maps. And give you time to Aim Down Sights and line someone up for a kill.

- by all means equip Spy Plane, but do not rely upon it IMHO. You might spend too long looking at it, and as much as you notice a bunch of red dots in the next street, there could easily be a hidden guy around the next corner, much closer to you. Play the map, not the HUD (Heads Up Display).

- top tip; accept it is a bit of a bugy game; there are issues with lag (hence public games people seem to see you sooner than you saw them), so you can never take it seriously, and accept there are plenty of decent players out there. Hook up with some AVF'ers if you want some banter and laughs over the microphones.

lol never run around a corner while sprinting because it takes longer to aim down sight after sprinting unless you have steady aim pro which helps to aim down sight after sprinting.

play against bots in combat training or go to a private match and learn the maps.

That's what hipfiring is for, when you know someone is there you can charge around the corner and drop them before they've moved.

Obviously don't run blindly around every corner though!

Last edited:
That's what hipfiring is for, when you know someone is there you can charge around the corner and drop them before they've moved.

Obviously don't run blindly around every corner though!

Ever tried this on Training Mode, on Vet? It really doesnt work, and when I've watched a killcam back, it shows the Bot ADS'ing before he strafes around the corner, as if [-]half[/-] fully expecting you.

Great thread guys, I'm new to Call of Duty as well, been playing a week and can say without embarrasment i'm pretty poor! I'm working my way up the levels, on 12 or 13 now I think, mainly playing FFA games with the odd TDM thrown in for good measure, find the FFa easier to get on with as I just shoot at everybody! lol
Some very good points here which I will hopefully remember when playing, also going to give the training a go and see how that helps.

this is a good cod to get into with the combat training mode. put it on the easiest setting and go to town! move up as you become comfortable and voila. also, something to think about once you're used to everything, consider turning up your controller sensitivity from the default... as you reaction times and accuracy improve, a higher sensitivty can help you do things like track people faster whilst ADS and also turn around faster if someone shoots you from behind. probably not the best idea just yet but a lot of people use a higher sensitivity once they're used to everything. another good thing about combat training... you can test this out :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom