• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New to satelite and need info

kingcr33ch

I've been using these forums for quite awhile but I mainly hang round the ps3 and lcd sections. This is about the 3rd time i've had a look through this section and im getting quite lost, please can some one direct me to a webpage where i can learn the basics of foreign satelite? ie different signals, dishes for signals etc.

I have sky which is fine for what I want at the minute but eventually (when I get my own place) i'd like to be able to watch foreign stations in HD if possible. I'd be mainly using the foriegn stations for watching premiership footy but all the other channels it could pick up would be a bonus. At the minute i watch footy over the interpipe on my pc which is fine as I only live in a bedroom, the streams aren't bad quality for a 19inch monitor but would never work well on anything bigger.

Im not going to be buying anything for a good year but in the meantime i'd like to try and get to grips with the basics if possible.

Thanks for any help people

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
I've been using these forums for quite awhile but I mainly hang round the ps3 and lcd sections. This is about the 3rd time i've had a look through this section and im getting quite lost, please can some one direct me to a webpage where i can learn the basics of foreign satelite? ie different signals, dishes for signals etc.

I have sky which is fine for what I want at the minute but eventually (when I get my own place) i'd like to be able to watch foreign stations in HD if possible. I'd be mainly using the foriegn stations for watching premiership footy but all the other channels it could pick up would be a bonus. At the minute i watch footy over the interpipe on my pc which is fine as I only live in a bedroom, the streams aren't bad quality for a 19inch monitor but would never work well on anything bigger.

Im not going to be buying anything for a good year but in the meantime i'd like to try and get to grips with the basics if possible.

Thanks for any help people

Bear in mind that virtually all premiership football on foreign channels is on subscription packages and only one (Premiere) at present broadcasts in HD - in fact most people describe the picture quality on the cheapest pay package around (digitalb) as poor. There is very little at present FTA on any satellite in HD - see here for current list
http://www.flysat.com/hdtv-freq.php.

I would suggest you start looking again in a years time when you intend purchasing as any information about the current recommendations for equipment and pay packages will undoubtably be well out of date. At that time you will need to decide which channels you wish to watch and from this decide whether you want a fixed dish (which with 2 or 3 lnbs will receive 2 or 3 satellites) or a motorised dish (which dependant on size will get most satellites that you can see between about 45 degrees East and 45 West - the visible satellite arc from the UK)

Oily

Novice Member

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Try these sites middlefinger,it's all here,just take your time reading through all the info:
http://sataid.net/forum/index.php
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/
http://www.alsat.co.uk/forum/index.php

You can watch the footy on Saturdays for free if you get the right patches/firmware updates with english commentry ;)
Also the Premiere HD film channel is good,again free if you have the right patches/firmware :smashin:
Not that i know any of the above :nono:

Patches may work at the moment BUT we are talking about a year from now and how many will work then?

Oily

Novice Member
Patches may work at the moment BUT we are talking about a year from now and how many will work then?

True,if you want guaranteed footy and 'nudge nudge' channels then a subscription is the way to go.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom