New to Sat Nav!!!!

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by jen_eclaire, Sep 18, 2007.

1. jen_eclaire

jen_eclaire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

SatNav is not something i've ever considered spending my hard earned cash on as i mostly drive 3 miles a day to work and back and on the the occasion i do go somewhere new i get by quite well with a good map book, rac route planner and good preperation! However I recently bought my car insurance from Tesco and to my delight i now have a £100 off voucher for a tomtom. So basically I'll be getting tomtom One for 50 quid. I'm not sure i can refuse it for that price.

Anyway, i was told that you have to dowload and subscribe to "tomtom Home" and then pay a subscription fee to download the latest map versions. Is it true that i will have to pay to update software and maps i have already bought? If so what is the cost? I have looked on the tomtom website but kind find any information on prices.

I noticed there were other extra services available to subscribe to such as traffic jams and speed cameras. How much do these cost and are they worth it? Also, tomtom one only has a memory card so will all the extras fit on there or am i gonna end up buying a bigger memory card to be able to get the extras?

I basically want to find out just how much this is really going to end up costing me because i'm only willing to spend so much money on something i don't really need!

:confused: So many questions! Any answers will be much appreciated!

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    if you buy a map book after two years it will be out of date and you buy a new one, same with sat nav maps.
    however just like a book you can still use it
    for £50 bite their arm off for it,
    i personally use garmin so i cannot help with the other subscription prices,
    However you will be getting a very capable sat nav with more features than an entry level unit costing twice as much and you dont have to subscribe to any other features or updates unless you want to

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I'm not pressing any brand, just the whole Sat Nav thing. A great gadget (a big + for me, being a gadget lover), but also useful. I like you, have little cause to use one, but on the odd occasion I've had cause to, it's like having someone who knows the way in the passenger seat. It just minimizes motoring stress. Yes you can do without it, no, it's not perfect. One thing I've found, when I have used mine, the route it's chosen hasn't stuck with me, so I probably couldn't drive it again from memory, but they've been one off journeys anyway, & I don't need to remember as I've got sat nav! I considered buying one when the prices first fell to ~ £100, but didn't. Whilst 'discussing' directions with my wife I realised I'd have paid that, not to have the 'discussion.' Decision made, it's one of those things that make life easier - even if that's only a few times a year.