New to Sat/Digi - What are the options?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by chriscaller, Oct 9, 2001.

1. chriscaller

chriscaller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moving to a new flat soon, which has a sat point on the wall in addition to coax. Thinking therefore of going digital (4Film, Discovery Channel, E4, BBCNews24, Nat Geographic in our sites at the moment).

Will be viewing small Sony FD TV to begin with (nxt yr a Tosh MT3 projector).

Some basic questions:

1) What's the diff betw Sky and Sky+?
    2) As our dish is pre-installed at the top of a large chimney-stack (150ft), with a connector labelled "Sat" on our living room wall, does that mean "installation" isn't needed?
    3) I've heard about free "digiboxes" from Sky - what's the catch, are the alternatives better?
    4) Should I just buy an independent digital box & will this mean I don't have to pay a subscription?
    5) Will I be able to view 16:9 (with black bands top/bottom) on a 4:3 Sony KV14LT1 TV, or is that a stupid question?

Sorry for the long list - any help much appreciated :)

Chris

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    1)SKY+ has two tuners/one decoder and a built in hard drive for recording, SKYdigital refers to a box with one reciever/decoder.

2)No installation will be needed assuming the dish is aimed at 28.3 for SKY's digital service, analogue SKY has all but gone.

3)SKY give away boxes when you subscribe to their service for a minimum of 12 months and connected to a phone line. They are also "free" if you pay the installation charges and only take the free to view option. Only SKY authorised hardware can decode their service.

4)You can buy a compatable box second hand or from a independent dealer. You can then watch "free to air" channels and if you get a BBC card(free)you can access "free to view" channels.
    For all other channels you will need to buy a subscription or make a one of payment for pay per view programs.

5)If the program is broadcast in widescreen then setting the digibox accordingly will display a w/s picture on a 4:3 TV.

3. chriscaller

chriscaller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help Starburst - much appreciated

Chris