New to REW, House Curve Question

jason1wood

Just acquired a dual SVS PB-2000pro.
Been getting to grips with REW, Umik and MiniDSP hd.

I'm going to start positioning, matching and EQing today, read and viewed loads on YouTube so feeling pretty confident to do the basics.

My question is, house curve, is there a right and wrong way, or is it down to room size/layout etc.
I live in an open plan apartment and won't get pressurisation, so going dual and dsp to get the best integration.

For larger spaces is a flat curve better or a 10db shelf or will that just depend on my ears.

Just done so much research on Rew, my head hurts so thought I'd get the setting up done and sort curve out when I level out 🤣

All advice is welcome but remember, I'm starting out and not very savvy with tech talk. 😉

Conrad

Probably worth sticking with a harmon curve to start with, a 6dB rise from 100Hz to 10Hz.

jason1wood

Probably worth sticking with a harmon curve to start with, a 6dB rise from 100Hz to 10Hz.
Thanks mate, will give it a go, wasn't sure if there was a set standard 👍

Conrad

Thanks mate, will give it a go, wasn't sure if there was a set standard 👍

There’s no standard as such. Using a loudness curve against the volume you listen at is a good guide. Most people seem to find a harmon curve pleasing. Often they amount to the same thing.

Some people run flat, some run +10dB or more (I’m looking at you @kenshingintoki!)

There’s no right answer but a slight lift will probably sound good.

jason1wood

Thanks gents, that helps and gives me a starting point. Will keep you updated on the REW thread 👍

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Join the Dark side. HoverBOSS and +12DB house curve.
You will no longer hear the movie but feel the movie.

You won't hear the earthquake but feel the earthquake.

markymiles

Distinguished Member

I think it's fair to say you like your bass :D

jason1wood

I have 2 transducers in sofa so that was my next question 🤣

jason1wood

You gave up quick…
Yeah mate have some terrible nulls in my place and no matter what I do can't get a betterq response with the minidsp than what ypao and the app gives.
That's what I'm dealing with mate 😔

Attachments

• 20210711_151636.jpg
    20210711_151636.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 46

CableGuy

Hiya,

I’m not sure if there is a right or wrong, to be honest. One of the more respected guys I keep seeing spoken about on socials, Steven Smith of Home Theatre Gurus, had a look at my house curve (below) and said “Daniel, nice response. It's a healthy house curve as is but adjust to taste. Also don't be afraid to adjust the sub trim in the avr to taste.”

41A092A7-E308-4853-A1BB-70953C66D4BE.jpeg

As below, this is with my 2x XTZ 12” ported
subs and 2x B&W ASW610 sealed subs.
B905E9E5-860B-4689-83EA-E42CF846ECD4.jpeg

Dolus

I am not an expert on REW :confused: so this is just an observation.

On the Before RED line the graph shows your subs having a healthy output below 20Hz, but the After BLUE line shows that output dropping off the page, especially the dip at 15Hz which has turned into a null.

CableGuy

I am not an expert on REW :confused: so this is just an observation.

On the Before RED line the graph shows your subs having a healthy output below 20Hz, but the After BLUE line shows that output dropping off the page, especially the dip at 15Hz which has turned into a null.
Hi Dolus,

Yes - as my subs are only rated down 18hz or so, that’s an intended EQ roll off adjustment in the lower registers. I’ve added a cutoff through Mini DSP to try and protect the subs from trying anything too aggressive below the subs’ capabilities.

Regarding 20Hz region, yes, a couple of db drop after EQ. I’ve considered bumping it a tiny bit but didn’t quite get around to it just yet. :)

Such a great piece of kit, though. My bass has never been so controlled since getting into Mini DSP and REW. 🤩

Dolus

Thanks for the clarification.
That was a quick reply, you must have been waiting for me to finish typing. :D

CableGuy

Thanks for the clarification.
That was a quick reply, you must have been waiting for me to finish typing. :D
Haha. Good timing. 😉😂

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon