new to projectors

jaguar180180

im looking to get a projector this will be my first so im not looking to spend a fortune around£350-£400.im wanting to use it to just watch a few films a week not gaming or business.any links to a projector or advice would be much appreciated. many thanks.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
There was a second hand Optoma HD65 in the classifieds earlier today for £320 which is a great pj for the money.:thumbsup:

jaguar180180

thanks for the reply kbfern shouldve stated im wanting to buy new so ive got a bit of come back if anything goes wrong for this reason im ruling out ebay aswell.ive seen a deal for a optoma DX606V XGA with a bracket and free 70 inch screen for £352.55 any comments if this is good please?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Personally I would not buy this pj for films,it is a data style projector and is therefore more suited for use in a classroom/boardroom for hooking up to a computer.

Better to go for a home cinema type pj, the cheapest new one worth having at the moment would be an Optoma GT7000 but it will cost £465 without screen but is a much better option.

Optoma GT7000 GameTime 7000 HD Ready DLP Projector: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

jaguar180180

thanks for looking.bugger everytime i think i find summut half decent its not all that good,there is just so many variables with buying a pj its a complete mindfield its starting to put me off:rolleyes:

jaguar180180

any thoughts on a decent pj to start me off guys?:confused:

jaguar180180

BenQ MP514 DLP Projector 2500:1 2000 Lumens 800 x 600 (SVGA) 2.4kg (White)

can anyone tell me if this is any good ? £377.00

kbfern

Distinguished Member
This is the same type of pj as the other one you suggested except this one is not so good.

Does not do widescreen is louder (fan noise) and is standard def only so you can't get a high def image from it (no sky hd or bluray).

There is no new high def (720p) projector on the market for less than £460 (as far as I know).

If you go down the route of the type of pj you are looking at I think you will regret it.Stump up the extra £100 and get the Optoma GT7000.Forget the screen if you can't afford it and project onto a white or light grey wall and buy a screen later when you can afford one.:)

luke90

Novice Member
definatley agree with kbfern. you will only regret it if you dont go 720p. I have an optoma hd700x and its amazing. i paid £530 for the projector and a screen. I know this is out of your budget but i definatley think its worth saving a bit longer.

too_funky

Just save for even longer and get a 1080p, if you get 720p you will only regret it in the long run and will want to be upgrading anyway. Whatever you get though, deffo dont get lower res than 720p, not worth it in my opinion.

jaguar180180

thank you all who have commented:thumbsup:

MrStinky

Novice Member
I've just paid £427 for an HD700x on it's own, so it is possible with a little looking around if you're able to stretch that budget by £30, I would try and get to a store and see the HD65 (or GT7000/HD700x) in action first though if you have any stores nearby that can demo them for you. :)

jaguar180180

thanks to all those who have posted and tried to help. i think the best thing for me to do is get a bit more research done so i have a bit of know how about what im doin and hopefully in the next month or so add another couple of hundred quid to the pj fund .if im gonna do it i may aswell do it right,thanks again for all the help guys:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom