New to projectors: what do power consumption and Iris speed do?

JamesP1701

Hi all,

I’m very new to the world of projectors but have recently bought the Epson 9400. To say I’m impressed would be an understatement.

However, in layman’s terms and in terms of what visual difference they do, I’m trying to understand both what the different power consumption settings mean/do and what Iris speed is all about.
With thanks.

3rdignis

Power consumption is lamp setting.
Eco (low)
Medium
High

How much light the projector outputs.
Less light = better blacks

Bigger screen and/or brighter room needs more projected light.

3rdignis

A calibration is £200-£300 and well worth it.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Iris speed is how quickly the iris reacts to darken content by closing down light output, in order to darken a scene. Really helpful in terms of making a dark scene seem darker than it is.

The speed in which it does this is important as if its too slow, it'll obviously show a dark grey colour before darkening, and if its too fast, it might react too quickly to content where no iris can keep up with it (and therefore dims the image when it recovers and should look brighter).

Theres no perfect setting. I keep mine on high because I do want my PJ to get those pitch black moments (black screens) which is common in films for impact and total darkness in the theatre.

However it does rarely trip up and can reveal itself.

Power lamp consumption is how much power you are using from the bulb. The lower the better for longevity of the bulb, noise and generally colour accuracy. The higher is better if you need lumens. dependant on your screen size, eco is probably enough for your use case/

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom