New to projectors - Using a projector upside down?

GTSB89

Novice Member
Hi All,

Just recently purchased my first projector (Benq TH585) and i had planned to have it sitting on a draw which slides out of a cupboard at the rear of my room about 2 meters high,

What i hadn't taken into account was that ceiling orientation of the projector meant it's upside down and it's not possible for me to mount the projector to the bottom of the draw. I'm thinking of just turning the projector upside down and use some rubber feet to support it so the weight isn't all in one place. The fans on the projector are on the side so not blocking anything...

Does anyone have any experience of this and recommend if this is a good idea or not? Don't want to write off a brand new projector!

Cheers,

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I can't quite picture what you're trying to do but there is no upside down when it comes to projectors, they can be used either way.

GTSB89

Novice Member
I can't quite picture what you're trying to do but there is no upside down when it comes to projectors, they can be used either way.

I mean that i'm not going to mount it (like a ceiling mount) to the draw i just want to lay it on top of the draw, so the top of the projector is on the surface of the draw (upside down)? Make sense?

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I see, is there a reason you don't want to use it the right way up or do you have limited placement to get the image square on the screen?

There shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not blocking vents but it will make getting the image lined up correctly very fiddly and I'd be worried about how secure it is.

Marky1973

Can you not change the orientation in the settings?

Marky1973

Can you not change the orientation in the settings?

Marky1973

Dunno why that posted twice! :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'i had planned to have it sitting on a draw' - assuming that is a pull out shelf the Projector can be mounted on its feet and as Marky1973 suggests you simply change the orientation in the User setting, it would be odd to find a projector which only works one way up!

It is also unusual to have a New 'Home Cinema' projector supplied with it set to ceiling mount orientation!

Joe

GTSB89

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice, having it set up on it's feet means that the image is too high, and don't have enough digital adjust to compensate for it.
Capture.JPG

My idea was to have it setup in ceiling mode, so the projector is flipped and can get a good image, but i can't actually mount it to the ceiling so was going to improvise a stand for it on the draw

1610615302473.png

Marky1973

Ah, I see! Definitely possible but, as said above, just make sure it is stable and you can access all the necessary buttons!. Looking at the PJ it looks like it has manual focus on top of the device, so you might need to make sure you can still access that to make adjustments once it is in situ. I guess that, as long as the vents are all clear like you said, there is no reason why you can't do that.

Good luck!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Lens shift - can be very limited on some models, we tend to spec Epson for that reason.

If a wall bracket is an option there are brackets which bolt to a wall and have an outrigger pole which you then hang the projector from.

Inverting a projector on a shelf is something we have all had to deal with in the past, finding someone with a 3D printer would allow you to create some neat supports!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom