New to projectors need advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by danjef, Dec 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. danjef

danjef
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Planning to buy my first projector and really no clue what to go for, have read countless reviews but still undecided, and would really appreciate some advice.
    -Will it placed where light can be controlled pretty well
    -have around 4m meters to work with on throw distance
    -Looking for it to be around 90inch
    -Watching Mainly movies & live sports

Budget is up to around £800-900 and was drawn to the following models, Benq W1070+, W1210ST, W2000 but really unsure, coming from an oled so hearing black are not great puts me off somewhat.

Any other recommendations? or comments on the ones I am considering currently?

2. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    I have just got the W2000 myself a few weeks back. I currently throw a 92" image from 2.8m away so you'll be fine on throw distance.

Blacks are not the best in the world and certainly nothing to be compared to an OLED, but in all honestly I don't think any PJ will get as inky black an image as a TV, it's the cinema immersion of a PJ that is the strong point. I can totally black out my living room with blackout curtains and closing doors, I only watch the PJ at night anyway, so far out of the box settings are good but tonight I'm going to spend some time calibrating it to see if I can get the light output correct as with just eco mode and cinema mode I can see some screen texture so need to dial the light down a bit. All in all, from what I've seen so far the W2000 is one heck of a PJ.

3. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    This is a really useful website - ProjectorCentral
    you can put in the make and model and you will get all of the stats for any projector. Also it has a really good throw distance calculator so you can figure out where the projector will need to go to get the 90in screen.

Have you considered a used model? You can get some real bargains on the classifieds here, for that kind of budget you could pick up a really nice bit of kit. You need to think about rainbow effect too, as all of the BEnq models are DLP. Try and get a demo before purchasing one if possible.