1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Plasma...thinking about buying!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GarethH, Apr 20, 2004.

1. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've always wanted a Plasma but I always had a problem with them looking a bit pixelated. However, I was out shopping and I walked into an AV store to see a Panasonic TH-42PW6B on display with Monsters Inc. The picture was absolutly amazing...I thought it was some sort of HD picture on display. The price was £3,000 and I was so tempted to just hand over my credit card.

I came back to find you can buy it for around £2,300 online and I am now seriously considering parting with my cash. However, I've noticed on the spec list the plasma is only 852x480. It seems some Plasmas are now 1280x768...However, they don't seem to offer the 4000:1 contrast the Panasonic does. I've always had a problem with Contrast on Plasmas...I need things looking 100% black!

Do you know if there are any HD res plasmas on their way that will have 4000:1? I am mainly thinking about Blu-Ray in 2 years time and maybe WMP 9 HD running from my PC! Is there any important things I should know about Plasmas before I buy?

I have a Pioneer 747A DVD Player and I don't really have the cash to upgrade. The 747A outputs Progressive on NTSC (75% of my collection) but not PAL. Do PAL interlaced pics look good on the Plasmas? Sorry for the questions and long story...the picture i saw on the Panny just blew me away!

Oh and another question: Do Plasma's suffer from magnetic interference like CRT's?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the panasonic HD model is 3000:1 but is also alot more expensive (up towards £4k). A number of members (jasonjo for example) have looked at the HD and decided to go for the standard resolution model because the expense wasnt justified..

All the best

ad

3. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    GarethH,

I too was very concerned about resolution and was originally gonna go for a Hitachi 5000. But when I went to view screens I always prefered the picture on the panny.

Have had the panny set-up for around 5 days now and the picture just blows me away even on freeview.

If blacks are very important then this is definitly the screen for you.

I too couldn't justify the extra cost for the HD screen (well afford really). If I did have a choice I would probably go for a pioneer rather then a HD panny.

oh and plasmas don't suffer from Magnetic interference.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    actually plasmas will suffer magnetic interference (ref. magnetic bottle for containment of a fusion plasma) but this effect will be minimal as compared to that of a crt (something of the order of 10^5 times lower issue for a given magnetic field). So try and keep fields away if possible but i dont suggest you would see much effect with speakers near by!

all the best

ad

5. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What worries me is my washing machine, which is in close proximity to my TV causes problems when on. The picture shakes in 60Hz, but not 50Hz. I was mainly wondering if the Plasma would be affected by this as my PC's LCD is fine with it!