New to plasma and need your advice

A

amouda

New to plasma and need your advice

Hi,

I am a new guy so be nice

I actually do not know much about Plasma and homecinema other than I really want one.

Reading through an American forum for the last month and delighted to discover this UK forum I decided to go ahead based on the impartial advise you good people give.

I am considering a 50" Plasma as the centrepiece of my home cinema and was glad to see that Panasonic and Pioneer are the most regarded here, as this will save me a lot of time considering other options. Moreover I have the opportunity to buy a Pioneer 504 for £4000 through a connection at work.

I am seeking your advice as to what to do now:
1-Do I go ahead with the Pioneer at this price or is the Panasonic a much better screen? If the Panny is that better I can go through the trouble of selling the Pioneer on for a small profit then buy the Panny.

2-Last, I am very new and don't know much about connecting things and drilling holes for wall hanging, so can you guide me to someone who can do the job for me in London. I would love someone from the forum as he will be an enthusiast who takes pride in his work.

3-I am planning to buy a Pioneer AX5 amp and 868 DVD and Kef 5005 speakers to go with the Pioneer PLasma, but I am open to suggestions if you - knowlegable people have better ideas - but this comes after deciding on the plasma - right?

Wow, I've just wrote a novel!!

Well, Any advice will be greatly appreciated - especially regarding the plasma and installation.

MAW. aka martin.

send him a pm

i cant remember his web addy , but he his highly regarded around here, i am thinking of using to install mine after i bodge it up. but i got to give it go myself first:D :D :D

jmack

Thank you, for your prompt reply. I see you've been round here for a while and would therefore like to know your thoughts on my Plasma dillemma.

Do I go 504 at £4K or sell it on for a 50" Panny?

Cheers

from what i under stand the pioneer 504 is a tv with tuner, and its proberly one of the best plasma with tuner out there. the panny is a monitor only, is it the 6 series you were thinking about,

its a very personal thing. my vote would go for the panny, as the pionner 434, my mate has a pioneer 434hde and because of the black glass surrounding bezel it , the picture really looked grey compared to black surround. if the bezel was another colour may the lack of really deap blacks would not have stood out to much. thats in my opinion only.

i belive the panasonic can have draw backs too. buzzing from panel/ the 50 inch has fans in them to,

i would go demo both.

but i would be tempted to get a panny with a very good scaler.

i`m sure with different opinions will jump in here with there views.

Fair enough. I think I will just demo both.

Would anyone be able to tell me of a place in London with both 50" screens to demo?

Thanks

amouda

I believe http://www.nexnix.co.uk

would have your plasma up for demo.

Close enough to London. They will probably have a good setup on their screens so you can do a side by side demo.

amouda,

I've been tossing up between the panny 50 and the pio 504 for some time.

Visited London last week (I live in China) and went to Tottenham Court Rd. At one big place (maybe "Ask"?, east side of the road towards TC underground station) they had the two screens side by side.

They put the pio demo disk in on each screen simultaneously. I didn't know which to choose before, but now consider the pio a clear winner and will be buying one tomorrow. Sure, the lighting was bright and this probably hid shortcomings in the pio black levels, but the image is so crisp and vibrant I can't resist it.

Go have a look for yourself!

I did take a picture but for the life of me I cannot paste it in the forums!!!

How do you guys do it?!

resize it to 500 pixels then press insert image and browse ya pc for picture to upload.

or host it on another site and post link

www.photobucket.com is free

ps. or email it to me and i will put it up

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom