New to photography? Read this.

Funny stated the way it was I thought it was simple Trolling....

Rules are to be broken. They are guidelines at best. Taking shots using rules of thirds doesn't make you a great shooter, it just makes you a sheep.

I can't agree with you.
Like learning most things in life there are basics to learn. Learning the basics has been proven to make you better at what ever it is you are doing.
For instance, learn a musical instrument you need to learn the scale, you need to learn basic tunes like 3 blind mice and bells of St Clemente etc.
learning to cook you will start by making bread, cup cakes and Yorkshire puds.
Learning to race cars/motorbikes you will need to know how to drive slowly first under control.

It's the same with photography. To be good at it it's beneficial to learn basics. After they have been learnt and are second nature you can work on that and improve your craft and possibly break the rules but with meaning.
If you know what it is that makes a photo good you can see the photo before you have even got your camera out of the bag. If you don't know the basics then you are less likely to appreciate the more technical aspects.

Having said that, a good photo is one that the viewer likes regardless how it was taken, what it was taken, who took it and how it was composed.

You could always post a few of your great photos here for us all to see that didn't follow any rules (not having a dig, just think it would be helpful to show what you meant by your post).

Here is one of mine that breaks the rules.
The horizon is too low down to be on the lower thirds line, the people are almost dead centre and so is the change in the clouds, but I like it...

Wind%2BFarm%2BMatt%2BSimpson.jpg

I have updated a few photos and missing links.
Might try and revisit this to include tips 3.

Ok dunno how I ended up on this page. Darn kids! Nice photo though @Thug

Just bought my first DSLR & I appreciate this thread, some cool pointers :thumbsup:
Will take them on board this weekend :clap:

Just bought my first DSLR & I appreciate this thread, some cool pointers :thumbsup:
Will take them on board this weekend :clap:

Don't forget to post your results here.

Don't forget to post your results here.
Playing about with family pet, Bullseye the rabbit :laugh:
& took some pics, this is my fave.
image.jpeg

Nice work, only just stumbled across this. Already knew about the 3rd's rule, but didn't know about having things in the background and foreground to give pictures depth - useful thanks!

Pity the images hosted on Photobucket are now not available due to their recent policy change :(

Just noticed none of the photos are showing on here.
That's because i hosted them with Photobucket and now demands money.
I will have to rehost them elsewhere and update this thread sometime soon.

Just noticed none of the photos are showing on here.
That's because i hosted them with Photobucket and now demands money.
I will have to rehost them elsewhere and update this thread sometime soon.

Would love it if the photographs were made available again.

Was gutting to read the explanations but not have the photos to go with it.

Would love it if the photographs were made available again.

Was gutting to read the explanations but not have the photos to go with it.
Forgot about this, will do it on my next days off.

Forgot about this, will do it on my next days off.

Thanks, I’d really appreciate that! Would love all the help I can get. Just starting out, and it made for a very good read, just could have done with the example pictures. Lol.

No rush at all m8... just do me a favour if you don’t mind and bump the thread or drop me a quick pm to say they’re working.

Again... much appreciated! [emoji1303]

In the meantime, feel free to ask questions in this section of the forum. Plenty of people willing to help if they can.

In the meantime, feel free to ask questions in this section of the forum. Plenty of people willing to help if they can.

Ok... here’s just a quick one... lol....

So like I’m sure pretty much most new people interested in photography... the subject of Bokeh, blurring parts of an image etc is a hot topic lol.

I have a Nikon 3400 dslr with the 18-55mm kit lense, but am also awaiting delivery of a 50mm prime lense, which will allow F1.8, to better help with Bokeh, background blur etc.

One thing i can’t quite grasp is....

I have seen pictures where it’s the opposite.. front/mid is blurred but background is in focus.

How is this achieved? Like you can actually choose what’s blurred? Or I suppose rather what’s in focus.

With the lcd liveview screen on my Nikon... there’s a moveable square, I can move this around with the d-pad. So is it a case of just putting that on the part I want in focus?

Ok... here’s just a quick one... lol....

So like I’m sure pretty much most new people interested in photography... the subject of Bokeh, blurring parts of an image etc is a hot topic lol.

I have a Nikon 3400 dslr with the 18-55mm kit lense, but am also awaiting delivery of a 50mm prime lense, which will allow F1.8, to better help with Bokeh, background blur etc.

One thing i can’t quite grasp is....

I have seen pictures where it’s the opposite.. front/mid is blurred but background is in focus.

How is this achieved? Like you can actually choose what’s blurred? Or I suppose rather what’s in focus.

With the lcd liveview screen on my Nikon... there’s a moveable square, I can move this around with the d-pad. So is it a case of just putting that on the part I want in focus?
There is always a critical area of sharpness in any picture, but then around this is an area that it still perceived as acceptably sharp, this is what called the depth of field (DOF). DOF is controlled by subject distance, aperture, focal length, and as an indirect result the sensor size.

Depending on the scene and the above factors it is possible to have the foreground subject in focus and everything behind blurred, foreground blurred mid ground in focus and background blurred, or foreground blurred with background in focus.

Well that's the first thing needed of course - you will also need to choose a suitably wide aperture for the effect you want to see.

Also have a look at your camera manual and see where/if it has a DOF Preview button and use that to make sure that you see the image as it will appear with the aperture closed down/opened up since most cameras these days will keep the lens aperture wide open while yoy set up and only close it down when the shutter is released to take the shot.

Might also be a good idea to have a look at a DOF calculator and a DOF simulator ?

A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator

Depth of Field (DoF) calculator | PhotoPills

DOF simulator - Camera depth of field calculator with visual background blur and bokeh simulation.

Many thanks to both of you!

More than enough there to look into, keep me busy!

Cheers guys [emoji1303]

Not to make a new topic, how to deal with "Not enough RAM" problem while using Photoshop? Got 16gb, still in trouble

Are you running the latest version and when does the error happen?

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom