new to pc gaming - essential games

Thanks for the replies. All the parts were delivered yesterday and the PC is now up and running.

Only issue so far is I made the mistake of buying Sims 3 for the missus (to help justify the cost of buying the PC) , and that's the only game that's been on so far...

Think I'm going to get fallout new Vegas next. Didn't play the 1st one on Ps3 - mainly because I didn't have time to spend on it, but ill give the new one a try.

Count yourself lucky that you have a partner that enjoys/likes gaming. Enjoy the step up from console gaming :smashin:

At Xmas time steam usually has the Valve Complete Pack at a very good price, its worth getting over the Orange box so you can relive some history as well as get all their latest and greatest.

And yes, Fallout 3+New Vegas is the other good one to pick up :)

I have 6 PC games currently for sale. They are all in mint as new condition!! I now have a PS3.

Lock on: Air combat simulation.
Sniper Elite.
Silent Hunter III : WW2 Submarine simulation
Brothers in arms, road to hill 30.
Tom clancy's Rainbow six 3 Raven shield GOLD EDITION.
Fahrenheit

Please contact me if you are interested. All my games have received 9/10 or 10/10 from most reviewers!

We have a classifieds forum. Best to advertise there :thumbsup: Due to scammers we offer no help or support to any members attempting to trade via PM outside of our classifieds.

AVForums.com - AVForums Classifieds

Hey dude, I found the games worth playing for me on PC are the strategy games which you don't get on console like Starcraft 2 and Civilization if you like that sort of thing, I prefer tokick back in front of the tv with my controller for everything else:cool:

I forgot to mention World of Warcraft aswell if that's your thing

+1 for the Orange Box - got to be the best value gaming option ever!
I've racked up a ridiculous number of hours on TF2, and Portal is amazing...

Good call on the Orange Box. As has been mentioned it's probably the best value game pack out there. Portal has got to be one of my all time favourite games.

For RPG's would recommend Fallout 3 & Fallout New Vegas as well as Oblivion. Get the Game of the Year editions where available.

Would also highly recomment the Mass Effect series. Is worth playing through Mass Effect 1 first as the decisions you make carry over to the second game. When you port the save game you also get a head start with money and resources. Plus, Mass Effect 2 is truly stunning.

If strategy games are your bag, you cant go far wrong with the Total War series.

And if you're into your footy management games, Football Manager 2011 is a top game.

Hope the above helps :)

Forgot about this thread, but i've been steadily building up my pc game collection over the past couple of months - particularly from the steam xmas sale.

On reflection I seemed to have purchased 'familiar' games that I either played on PS3 or missed i.e. Dirt 2, GTA 4, Saints row 2 etc.

I did however buy all the half-life (1&2) games and am currently playing through those, which is taking up a fair chunk of my gaming time.

I've already taken the next step of moving towards PC gaming - as I just sold black ops on PS3, which was taking up a fair chunk of my time. I finally gave up after all the disconnects etc, but will probably end up buying it for PC anyway.:D

Yeh i have heard that black ops on the PS3 is pretty much a horror show, and that is also doesnt have all the features as the 360 version and runs at a lower frame rate! Seems ridiculous and a good way to wind up the consumer.

The PC version from what i can tell is completely fixed now. All servers seemed to be displayed, the crashing and freezing seems to have stopped for most people as well. Im sure there are a few more tweaks needed, but i dont know what they are! :D

Oh yeah and you will love dedicated servers! Much more level playing field :)

Download Steam and wait for the next sale.

Since buying my new PC I have spent far too much on Steam. The worst part is that I already had a fair few of the games on disk and just brought them for the convince.

Agh.. Maybe I'm missing the point but most of the games suggested have been like recommending Now albums to someone looking to fill their MP3 player. I know it's subjective but let's try some of the hidden gems:
Vampire:Bloodlines - Get the fan patch
Penumbra Series - And Amnesia but I haven't played it.
Zeno Clash
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Anything by Increpare
The Polynomial

But OK. Definitely Battlefield 2 and Fallout 3 too. Blinding games.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom