1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to PC Editing

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by blue2555, Jan 15, 2004.

1. blue2555

blue2555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am new to PC editing, I want to edit my wedding video (Svhs)to VHS. I have a Window ME, Athlon 1.3khz, 512 ram, 60g Hard drive, with usb 1.1 and 2.0. nividia TNT2 pro64 graphics card.
    and JVC Svhs vcr.

I have tried Pinnacle DC10 PCI- ran ok.edited ok/ but failed to digitise only 1 in 3 attemps.
    ATI all-in-wonder : did not work at all.

Please would someone tell me if the following would work?
    Using the above PC spec - Canopus ADVC100 to my PC, with JVC Svhs VCR playing out/ recording back.

I guess I would need to upgrade to higher Windows OS.
    Will I be able to edit in DV better than MPEG? without dropped frames? I only need to edit from 30 mins. (as I know DV would eat my drive)
    Or is there something less expensive - while preserving quality?

Many thanks,

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use a Canopus ADVC-100 for analog digital conversion & it works very well. (No dropped frames,locked audio etc). Easy to set up & use between your PC & VHS recorder, but you will need firewire on your PC. You can get generic firewire cards cheaply.

If you seriously want to edit video get a large 2nd hard drive to capture all your video to as well.

Most editing packages are geared around DV editing. MPEG editing is not a simple task because of the temporal compression it uses.

3. blue2555

blue2555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Thank you for your reply. Will the Canopus Advc100 work with my operating system Windows ME or would it be worth upgrading anyway because of better performance (windows XP , 2000 etc).

Do you think that my system is fast enough to handle basic editing :-Athlon 1.3khz, 512 ram. as apart from the odd text/graphic - I do not want any fancy special effects!.

Do I need a canopus firewire card? (would it help)?

Finally where can I buy the Canopus ADVC100?

Sorry for the questions!

Many thanks,

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can find plenty of info at www.canopus.com

As far as I'm aware the ADVC-100 will work with Windows ME. Windows will just see it as a DV camera/VCR . All it does is convert & then supply your capturing software a DV data stream & your capturing software is just going to treat it like a DV camera.

With video editing big is best. Faster processors, loads of fast RAM & large fast hard drives are the order of the day. Particularly if you intend to have lots of video & audio tracks, filters, effects & transitions.

But for home use you should be able to operate with your processor speed & amount of RAM.

Another consideration is what file system to use. NTFS is better than FAT32 for video because you don't have a 4Gb file limit (DV is about 13Gb an hour)

It doesn't have to be a Canopus firewire card for the ADVC-100. The unit did have some issues with some firewire cards that used a Texas Instruments chipset, but that was older cards sometime ago so shouldn't be a problem for you buying now.

When I got mine the cheapest place I could find one in the UK was at SmartDV

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    A much cheaper option than the ADVC-100 is this:

www.dabs.com
    Dazzle DVC 80
    £45.82 inc VAT
    quicklinx 2THGWS

This is everything you need including editing software as long as you have USB2.0 on your PC. You will not need to add a firewire card either. It will capture your footage in DV format (.AVI files) so you will not loose any quality on editing once the S-VHS footage has been captured.
    With the money saved it might be worth getting a new HDD, but if you only want to do this one project it is probably not worth it. As mentioned you may have problems with fat32 drives limited to 4Gb files. I'm not sure, but I don't think Win ME can use NTFS drives so an upgrade to XP might make life a little simpler.

Mark.

6. blue2555

blue2555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Thank you for all your replies. I looked at the Dazzle DVC 80 unit, from my research there seems to be a lot of unhappy people who bought this product. With dropped frames, getting audio capture and quality lower than vhs!.

Are there any other devices that I should look at that operate like the canopus Advc100 as this unit will certainly blow all my budget!. But I am willing to pay the price to keep the quality.

many thanks.

7. blue2555

blue2555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I recently read about DATAVIDEO DAC 100 SIGNAL CONVERTER
    which can convert IEEE 1394 DV to either S-Video or Composite(bi-directional) £199. Does anyone know if this product is ok and will work with my PC spec and windows.

Many thanks,

8. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i borrwed this device from a freind , little to say i was reluctant to give it back lets say you only get what you pay for i started out with dazzle dvc 8o and all i can say is the only decet material in box was pinnacle studio 8 quickstart . with dv import and editing software and decent firewire cable is all you need but with analog ou need to pay a bit more for your hard ware to get decent results