new to pc building

jackjack5454

Standard Member
Reaction score
hey i need some advice on this whether the things i picked out are good or not so...

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R iP45 Socket 775 7.1 channel audio ATX Motherboard

XFX HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 HyperX Memory CL5 2.2V

Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM

Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU - 80Plus Certified 12cm Fan 3x 12V Rails

Sony AD-5200A-0B 20X DVD±RW/DL Int IDE Bare Black Drive - OEM

Intel Core™2 Quad Q6600, 2.40 GHz (BX80562Q6600)

and an antec 900 case

and would this be able to run most games on highest settings? crysis too possibly?

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Hey

I'd certainly say so although I'm out of touch with the graphics card so someone would need to advise on that. You've certainly got enough processor power and RAM to keep you happy

B

Decent parts list you got there. I would possibly switch out the PSU for a corsair as they're really great performers.

Also, onboard sound isn't the greatest if you are using analogue outputs, but I can't comment for this particular mobo as I haven't seen any reviews on it.

The only other thing left is I would say is, if you're overclocking, the Q6600 is a great cpu, but your ram will probably never touch 1066 (unless you get lucky with the cpu). So I would recommend getting RAM with the tightest timings in your price range. I've got a pair of Crucial Ballistix which have served me well so far. But there are plenty of great ram manufacturers out that, G.Skill, Corsair etc.. :).

Oh lastly, Crysis is a weird game, it only performs decently under nvidias SLI. It's possible to get 60fps+ with geforce cards, but you are looking at 30-40 fps tops with a Radeon 4870. I have 2x 4870's and for me the framerate still isn't acceptable (but I am very picky!)

Last edited:
Hi

I am new to this forum. Can anybody tell me how get a wwf games from internet for my pc

for the OP, Crysis will run on that spec but not brilliantly, need something a little faster than the 6600 cpu to get the framerate right up on ultra settings.

anuradha, there might be one of the legal Online Content Delivery websites doing wrestling games, unfortunately nobody here can advise you how to get them in the non-legal way as its prohibited to discuss such things on avforums.com.

good luck tho :)

I dont where to buy that i searched in all shops but i cant that's why i posted here to help me. I wan to present this game to my brother.

for the OP, Crysis will run on that spec but not brilliantly, need something a little faster than the 6600 cpu to get the framerate right up on ultra settings.

anuradha, there might be one of the legal Online Content Delivery websites doing wrestling games, unfortunately nobody here can advise you how to get them in the non-legal way as its prohibited to discuss such things on avforums.com.

good luck tho :)

i'll be overclocking the cpu wouldnt that help with the framerates?

The only other thing left is I would say is, if you're overclocking, the Q6600 is a great cpu, but your ram will probably never touch 1066 (unless you get lucky with the cpu). So I would recommend getting RAM with the tightest timings in your price range. I've got a pair of Crucial Ballistix which have served me well so far. But there are plenty of great ram manufacturers out that, G.Skill, Corsair etc.. :).

thanks man i'll look into some better ram, though what do you mean by tightest timings? sorry im fairly new to building pcs :rolleyes:

i'll be overclocking the cpu wouldnt that help with the framerates?

Not really at high settings the constraint is the GPU, you would need to overclock the GPU to get any increase in framerate.

Might be worth seeing if you can stretch to an Nvidia GTX 275, I think they are about 50 quid more expensive than the 4870 you were looking at.

OP, i agree with sinzer either change the 4870 to the 1GB version or consider the GTX275 or maybe the 4890's they seem to perfrom awesome and seem to be closer to the GTX285's. You can pick up a 4890 for around £160ish if you look around and for that sort of money you can't go wrong.

What resolution do you game at by the way?

With either of the above cards you would be able to run Crysis Warhead on Gamer settings easily and maybe enthusiast.

ok few changes then

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R iP45 Socket 775 7.1 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Sapphire HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Ballistix Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5

Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM

Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU - 80Plus Certified 12cm Fan 3x 12V Rails

Sony AD-5200A-0B 20X DVD±RW/DL Int IDE Bare Black Drive - OEM

Intel Core™2 Quad Q6600, 2.40 GHz (BX80562Q6600)

is this better? should i change the chip or is it ok?

and im gonna be playing on my 720p tv for now then i'll get a monitor (atleast 1920x1080) bit later

Your Gfx card in there is weak. Get a Nvid 8800 768mb Gtx. . the 512 just wont be good.

Also make sure you get vista ultimite 64bit if u want your 4gig ram to work properly.

Your Gfx card in there is weak. Get a Nvid 8800 768mb Gtx. . the 512 just wont be good.

Also make sure you get vista ultimite 64bit if u want your 4gig ram to work properly.

The gfx card there happens to be one of the fastest cards below £200 released within the past 12 months. The 8800 is old technology and the 4870 surpasses it quite easily. Nvidia beating Ati at every step certainly isn't the case at the moment unless you're going for spending £250+.

The gfx card there happens to be one of the fastest cards below £200 released within the past 12 months. The 8800 is old technology and the 4870 surpasses it quite easily. Nvidia beating Ati at every step certainly isn't the case at the moment unless you're going for spending £250+.

Disagree. 8800 cards are proven and true performers. NVids are better in everyway.

Disagree. 8800 cards are proven and true performers. NVids are better in everyway.

Are you mad, a 4870 completely outclasses the 8800GTX.

Proven technology, you should rephrase that to old outdated technology. The 8800GT GTX were king in 2007, and early 2008. Now ATI is king with their 4xxx cards.

Using your proven logic, the 7800GTX is even more proven than the 8800GTX, should the OP hunt one of these down.

Also just to prove my point, here are some benchmarks

Charts, benchmarks Gaming Graphics Charts 2009, Far Cry 2

ATI 4870 512mb = 60.90 fps

9800GTX+ (55nm overclocked version of the 9800GTX, which in itself was faster than the 8800GTX) = 50.60 fps

9800GTX (65nm) = 46.10 fps

8800 Ultra = 45.50 fps

Sorry mate but you are wrong, i went from a 8800GTX to the 4870 and the ATi had the beating of the GTX in every game. While the GTX once was king the newer cards have left it behind and especially where high resolutions and inpaticular AA is concerned, the GTX just could not handle AA like the 4870's do.

OP stick to the 1GB 4870 or if it was me i would go with the 4890 which are far better overclockers compared to the 4870. I have seen some 4890's running a core of 1GHz over at Guru3D.

Last edited:

LMAO, does your local computer store only receive new stock once every 2 years?

You can't even buy 8800GTX's anymore, nor the 9800GTX that replaced them, ...and now the 9800GTX+ which replaced that has been replaced :rotfl:

I'd go for a Antec 300 case, your saving about £45 and the case is just as cool running (temperature wise) and nicer aesthetically (Although I suppose this is individual taste).

LMAO, does your local computer store only receive new stock once every 2 years?

You can't even buy 8800GTX's anymore, nor the 9800GTX that replaced them, ...and now the 9800GTX+ which replaced that has been replaced :rotfl:

You were missing my point.

The lad wanted a cheap card to do lots of good things. Pick up one of these (yes u can still find them) . . you get good power and very cheap.

:devil:

You were missing my point.

The lad wanted a cheap card to do lots of good things. Pick up one of these (yes u can still find them) . . you get good power and very cheap.

:devil:

And thats what the 4870 is have you seen the latest prices? they are going for around £120 these days which is cheap as chips and has the beating of the 8800GTX paticulary the 1GB version but the 512mb is still faster than the GTX.

Remember the ATi may only have 512mb of memory but it is GDDR5 not GDDR3 like the GTX.

OP stick to the 48701GB it's a great card but seriously consider the 4890 if you have a bit extra. :)

And thats what the 4870 is have you seen the latest prices? they are going for around £120 these days which is cheap as chips and has the beating of the 8800GTX paticulary the 1GB version but the 512mb is still faster than the GTX.

Remember the ATi may only have 512mb of memory but it is GDDR5 not GDDR3 like the GTX.

OP stick to the 48701GB it's a great card but seriously consider the 4890 if you have a bit extra. :)

I am Miss Chief and I approve of this post.

thanks guys, i'll probably stick with the 4870 1gb for now though i'll see if i can squeeze a 4890 :rolleyes: once again thanks for the help :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom