• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New to Onkyo - heat query

Strawbs

Established Member
I have in the past few days purchased a 507 and so far (lack of passive sub-woofer support aside) I'm very happy with the product.

I have noticed that even after being switched to standyby for 12 hours the thing still generates heat! I went to Richer Sounds for an explanation and was told it's normal for these recievers. Not being one to take a salesperson's word as the gospel according to st. mathew, I thought I would ask for clarification here.

Does anyone know if it's normal for the 507 to stay warm 24\7 and will it fail prematurely because of the continuous heat production?

Thanks.

namuk

Distinguished Member
I no the 875 , 905 , 906 , 876 , 906 on Standby mode are cold not even warm i.e like when off ..

your 507 should not be warm or hot on standby ..

Were is the amp Placed?

Strawbs

Established Member
thanks for the quick reply mate.

It's in a cabinet, but has plenty of room around it (12cm above, 8-10cm behind), there's no other equipment in there to transfer heat from and I'll be leaving the door ajar for a couple of days to see if that makes a difference.

let me stress that this is warm when in standby, not hot like it is in operation.

Strawbs

Established Member
yeah, can keep my hand on it without it burning for just about any length of time.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll repost.

Strawbs

Established Member
this thing generates a huge amount of heat when it's on - almost skin burning. I don't understand why they haven't built a cooling fan into it tbh.

I had read that heat was a factor to consider before purchasing the unit, but still it's more than I expected. If it turns out that my unit is not faulty or unique, I may have to consider fitting a fan in the cabinet.

namuk

Distinguished Member
Do not get me wrong the high end amps i listed get very hot when used, also my 875 does get very hot (was 60c at highest) this is normal when running amp i.e films etc .. i have had mine for over year and 1/2 now with no issues .. i would not worry about this ..

Also the amps do have internal fans you just can not hear them :)..

some people have used these with good results, not used on my self ..

cheapest i could find.. unless you mod your Cabernet to fit 120mm fans .. just do not get any old 120 fan there not all the same i.e crap airflow and DB..
Antec Veris AV Cooling Unit, Black at TheCoolingShop

site ..
Antec - A/V Cooler

Also try this, Press and hold the “Display” button then push Standby , then push "Tone" ..

this should bring up temp and fan speed .. you can not use this on standby mode ..

Last edited:

daveh48

Prominent Member
I have in the past few days purchased a 507 and so far (lack of passive sub-woofer support aside) I'm very happy with the product.

I have noticed that even after being switched to standyby for 12 hours the thing still generates heat! I went to Richer Sounds for an explanation and was told it's normal for these recievers. Not being one to take a salesperson's word as the gospel according to st. mathew, I thought I would ask for clarification here.

Does anyone know if it's normal for the 507 to stay warm 24\7 and will it fail prematurely because of the continuous heat production?

Thanks.

My 507 does get hot during an evenings viewing but after being on stand-buy for a while the casing is cold.

paddy01

Established Member
Can confirm, my 507 has been on Standby for more than the last 12 hours and is completely cold.

If it's staying warm when on standby I'd be going back for a replacement as it suggests components are getting power when they shouldn't.

Paddy

Strawbs

Established Member
Thanks for clearing that up guys! I was very skeptical about the shop's advice & I'm glad I put my thoughts out on the board.

I'll be contacting Richer Sounds before the day is out. :rolleyes:

Strawbs

Established Member
Problem solved - no thanks to richer sounds, who refused to believe there was a problem, but couldn't offer a plausible reason for the heat.

The HDMI control in setup menu 7.2 was switched on, this seems to keep the 507 active to the point of generating heat! setting it to "off" meant the reciever was cold after an hour or so.

thanks to Steve#9 for guinea pigging - see 507 owners thread.

Last edited:

namuk

Distinguished Member
Do so :thumbsup: as this does not on 05, 06 models on standby, and Hdmi control on, when on in standby mode amps are still cold .. but you can not use as Hub or control unit when in standby ..

Strawbs

Established Member
Success...

My Humax Freesat box plays sound through my tv and its only connection is via HDMI to my 507, which is in standby mode. :clap:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom