1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New To ICE

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Miyazaki, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    How good is the Sony "Xplod" line?

The speakers look the dogs!

I think i'm going to get the Sony "CDXS2200" Cd/Mp3 player, it is only 4x50W, but £100, so obviously I can't get great speakers!

I'm looking to get the best speakers with the littlest amount of money (Aren't we all :rolleyes: :D ), but can't really afford more than £100 on 4 speakers, and possibly another £60 on a sub.

Is this realistic?

How does it all plug in together? Is it easy to unhook my old clarion cd/tape/radio head unit and the cd changer in the boot? What about installing new speakers and head unit? It is easy to hook up the speakers and stuff?

Many thanks for everyones patience, and reading this! :clown:

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    first off where do you want the speakers, do you want to put them where the holes are now?, what car have you got if you do? and see if we can find what size speakers are in at present Dont go on what the speakers look like though :D . The Sub your looking at does it have a built in amp, if not setaside some money for that too and a batterry wire. Getting your old headunit out should not be a problem, the new unit will/should come with a wiring unit, but depeding on age and make of car cant really match up the colours yet. Its quite obvious which are speakers mains etc...[please use the classified forum if you wish to offer items for sale- edited by lynx]

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Right, Cheers for the help! :thumbsup:

I have an 1998 Honda Civic, (3 door) sort of a gun-metal gray colour. I am looking to pull out the previous standard fit speakers, as the previous owner has blown at least one of them. It has 4 speakers.

I have no idea about subwoofers, I just would like one, but if it is going to cost a bomb, and if I need an amp for it and stuff, I think I might leave it. Doesn't it just plug into the head unit? What does the battery wire do?

TBH I only got into home cinema a couple of years ago, and this is my first car, so i'm totally new to the game!

How much do you reckon I could flog the cd changed and clarion head unit for on ebay?

Cheers again!

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Consider fitting only a pair of speakers to the front of the vehicle, either components or easier to fit co-axial. If you wish a subwoofer then you will have to roll up the sleeves and run cables for an amp etc (subs with in-built amps are available however they are generally not as good and they still require cable runs to be made).

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    GG, if you need battery/power cable in the future give me a shout. I will happily send you some quality 7AWG ICE cable F.O.C., if you pay your own postage, you can have as much as you want;)
    I've got earth cable as well.

Cheers, Mylo :)

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I went into my local ICE shop in Plymouth this afternoon (turnbulls), and I am now decided I want two-way components in the front and some regular two-ways in the rear (oh er). Mr ICE man reckoned that my hatchback is too small for a sub, so cheers Mylo for the offer, when I get an estate i'll give you a shout. :D

Anyone tell me who make the best speakers on general consensus? And what would be a good head unit for some 17cm speakers for the front?

I can't remember what size they would have to be in the back.

Cheers if anyone can help me. :thumbsup:

7. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There are so many speaker makes and if you're not spending serious money then it might be worth going for what stuff you can get on offer...

Head unit wise, spending £100 gives you a fairly good choice and most units will happily power a couple of decent pairs of front/rear speakers with ease

i got a kenwood MP3 headunit rated at 4x50w and it happily runs two pairs of speakers and some 6x9s on the shelf (yes i know its a mish mash of speakers and not an ideal setup before anyone says anything!)

8. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I've gone that route as well, kenwood head unit KDC-MV6521 feeding front and rear speakers. I've also got a pair of boxed 10's and 2 6x9's amped up just for making lots of noise to drown out my diesel engine :lesson:
    Most cars are terrible for acoustics, it depends what your aim is 'Sound quality' or 'Power' . SQ costs more money to achive in my experience.

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I found out I am lucky, as my car can handle 17cm in the front and 13cms in the back.

I have gone for:
    Head Unit
    1 x Pioneer DEH-P5600MP (PIO-DEHP5600MP) = £139.99
    fronts
    1 x Pioneer TS-E176C (PIO-TSE176C) = £79.99
    rears
    1 x Pioneer TS-E1376 (PIO-TSE1376) = £49.99

All from Car Audio Direct.

I couldn't believe the price difference from buying from a shop! That lot would have cost me £405 at turnbulls in town!

what does everyone think of the speakers and head unit I chose?

10. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That sounds like a good setup and i'm glad you went the internet/mailorder route! Shop prices are so much higher! As mylo said car acoustics aren't great so it'll sounds as good as your car is designed really, my car is absolutely rubbish in that respect! My girlfriend has standard speakers in her M-plate 306 and it knocks spots off mine with all uprated speakers!

Mylo - Funny you should mention diesel! I got an old 309 diesel hack at the mo, where the wind noise is horrendous as well as the engine and the drive shaft thats on the way out!

When you say boxed 10s, do you mean 2 10" subs? I've heard that boxing 6x9s on the shelf (ie MDF boxed screwed underneath i presume) improves the punch....any ideas?

Thanks

11. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Go INFINITY KAPPA.....these can be had on the net at good knock down prices and just sound plain awesome.

if u do go for a sub then the apline 12ins that u can get already enclosed(but no onboared amp) will shake your doors off.

Legacy amps can be had at real good prices but pack quite a punch for there midrange price.

Its not that hard either to route the wires to the amp and sub in boot, did it in an afternoon on my BMW.

Sub does make a real inpact on the sound, as long as u dont set it at stupid just got my first car kid levels.

Have FUN :thumbsup:

12. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Yup, a Kenwood and an Alpine sub, both boxed and fed off a slightly modified
    Longmill amp running at 2Ohms :eek: higher temp capacitors seem to stop it blowing up:D
    I've seen 6x9's boxed and it works really well, letting them share the air with the subs is not really a good idea, if you make an MDF parcel shelf it would be pretty easy to construct a box underneath.

13. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too have a civic (5dr hatch) and in my opinion there is a better argument for a sub rather than rear speakers. if you get 17cm fronts and amp them, they will be more than loud enough than fronts and rears in most cars. a 10, 12 or even 15" sub will then fill out the bottom end and give you a nice bit of bass to compliment the front speakers. don't forget that a dealer, whilst hopefully offering you some good advice, will try to sell you what he actually stocks. it is in his interests to do so...

in terms of good speakers, take your pick. if you decide to go for just fronts, these will give you great bang for your buck! they have decent power handling and good bass: Speakers

they work very well with this headunit, the Bass Engine facility complimenting the speakers:
    Head Unit
    this comes in at broadly the same budget as before.

if you want to go the next stage and get a sub and an amp, go for a 4 channel amp that puts out about 4x50 to 4x 75w RMS (not peak power - don't be fooled by the marketing hype). good amp brands to look for are alpine, mac audio, pioneer. the sony xplod range is probably worth avoiding, as the standard of sony car audio has gone down the swanney in recent times (IMO). the xplod range seems to be more about looks than quality. sad really, as old sony stuff had some killer SQ and was at the top end of the market.

subs are two a penny at the low-middle end of the market. again, go for something that will match the power that your amp will put out in bridged mode, so between 150-250w RMS power handling. the alpine type R subs get good reviews, and this sub is also rated, and a bit of a bargain at the moment Momo Sub

if you really don't want a sub, then 6x9's are an option, although SQ will suffer as the soundstage is being dragged towards the rear of the car. if you just want 'loud' then this won't be too much of an issue for you. i would advise against it though. a good head unit, good fronts and a decent sub will sound infinitely better that most installs with 6x9's in them. plus, 6x9's invariably go on your parcel shelf so are a target for tea-leaves everywhere.

i am running the same alpine speakers as above in my car, giving them 50w each. they go louder than i could ever need. i also run a single 12" sub that has around 600w on tap (1ohm :devil: ). i don't ever use my rears (they are faded out to zero) and the speakers are in the standard locations in the doors. it is loud, with good SQ and most importanly makes me smile when i listen to it.

keep it simple... :)