1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to ICE and need help!

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Taffy2417, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Taffy2417

Taffy2417

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

turned 17 in october and got a F reg ford seirra for my first car. Only downside is that my cars ICE is dead! im getting a cd head unit soon to put in the car but the think is i dont know a thing about it.
    I need help with selecting a good system, how to wire it all and what i need and how to wire also a good bass sound. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    There's a pretty good haynes manual specifically about ICE. Might be worth a look.

3. diesel_uk

diesel_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya mate,

You need to remove headunit first.

Buy some euro 2 pin clips ( looks like a coat hanger)

insert into sides and remove the h/unit.

behind you should find the old ford harness.

Go to a audio supplier and ask for a ford to i.s.o adaptor ( around £10)

that will plug right into the h/unit you have bought via the h/units harness ( plug)

you will also need a antenna adaptor ( around 2/3 quid)

to fit a amp is a big job which involves lots of audio time/ lots of money and loads and loads of coffee best really left to the pro's. if you want to continue then please let me know after the install of the h/unit.

4. Taffy2417

Taffy2417

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that. As soon as i get a head unit in i'll contact you. Not really looking at a amp unless needed for a good bass boost, mainly looking at just head unit and speakers.

Thanks

5. Highgord

Highgord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    HI M8. Hope i'm not too late.
    You will not be able to get a true bass sound from a standard head unit. You may get a reasonable sound, but a head unit is not able to provide the power to achieve the sound you want.

Example - look at the thickness of the power cable on the back of the head unit. Look at the thickness of a separate amplifier cable. 10x as thick.

Bass is really a high amount of power converted into sound. The louder the bass, the more power required. This is why a standard headunit cannot provide enough power. It isn't able to. You can do a couple of dirt cheap things to improve it though.

1. Ensure the Baffle is solid and sealed
    The baffle is the surface the speaker is mounted into. Look at the speakers in your car. Are they fitted correctly. If there are any horrible gaps around the speaker, it will sound terrible. Also, ensure the mount is quite thick, metal in the car will do.
    2. Place egg box foam onto the door panel immediately behind the speaker. Abount twice the surface area of the speaker should do it. This will absorb the sound that comes from the back of the speaker and stop a tin reflection of the sound into the car.
    3. Use dynamat or brown bread product on the centre of the door pannel. This will reduce panel vibration and produce a cleaner sound.

You can add good bass very cheaply these days. Drop me a note and i'll help you out with that. It is worth adding it separately for a better, clearer sound.

Last of all, do NOT buy 6x9 or 7x10 speakers. They make a lot of noise but offer no sound quality and you can invest you money better.

Regards