New to HTPCs

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by MattLeCat, Aug 5, 2006.

1. MattLeCat

MattLeCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me - i'm new to HTPCs and these forums.

I have just purchased a media center PC from Dixons (I got a good deal) and the digital tv card supplied is very choppy - I can only receive 12 freeview channels and none of them are watchable!

I decided to connect my freeview box to the TV card using a TV out cable but still extremely choppy.

Is there anything I can do? Is there something wrong with my TV card or do I just need to upgrade to a higher quality one?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Matt

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    You have a poor signal for your DVB-T (Freeview) card. It's not unusual as they seem less sensitive than a standalone Freeview box. When you connected the TV-out of your Freeview box to the DVB-T card you just fed it the same TV aerial as that TV-out is just an aerial loop-through.

If you are lucky then a cheap signal booster will fix your problems although it may require a decent aerial to be installed on your roof.

3. MattLeCat

MattLeCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply nigel.

I live in a shared grade 2 listed building so fixing a new ariel isn't really an option. I already have a booster and that doesn't seem to help.

When I connect my freeview box to the TV card using a TV out cable I receive significatly more channels, they are just really poor quality.

Its quite strange because Media Center finds quite a few channels but not one is watchable, they are all choppy. :(

Is there anything else I can try?

Cheers

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Can you confirm exactly what model of TV card you have? Is it just a Freeview one or is it a hybrid analogue/digital? If the latter you may be able to configure it to take a signal from the Freeview box from video/audio out (not TV-out). If it's just a pure Freeview card then your options are a proper aerial (which is evidently difficult), a bigger & better signal booster (the Freeview box is obviously amplifying the signal some more giving you more channels albeit choppy). The only other option is exchange the Freeview card for an analogue TV tuner/capture card e.g. Happauge WinTV PVR150 & take video/audio from the SCART on the Freeview box but this is the least desirable option.