• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New to HTPC - Looking for recommendation please?

NatD

Hi,

I am an expat living in Qatar. TV over here sucks (apart from the Football) and I am worried by using my PS3 (2nd one) as my main media centre it is going to over heat and I will have the YLOD issue again.

So, I am looking for a HTPC. It will be used to play movies from an external hard drive, but I also want to use it to operate a Sling Box that I will have connected to Sky back in the UK.

Additionally, I will be using a VPN so will access iPlayer / etc. I don't need it for gaming, nor as a Blu Ray player.

I have a Denon 1909 amp and a 42" Plasma.

Due to my location, building one isn't practical so I want an out of the box system. Briefly looking on the forum, the ASUS eee Box and ACER Revo look like contenders.

My budget would be around 200-300 quid, so I was just after peoples experiences and recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

:thumbsup:

NatD

Would anyone recommend Apple TV (Version 1) instead of the Revo??

I can pick one up locally for 200 quid so am just wondering??

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom