New to HTPC building - Want to use Streacom FC5-od

Jonny000

Standard Member
Hi

I've been looking to build a HTPC to link in to my current HiFi and TV setup. My current kit is:

Marantz PM6003 amp
ProJect Audio debut carbon turntable
HD ready TV
And I currently play music by connecting my laptop to the RCA via a USB dock (not great for sound!)

I am looking to achieve the following from a build in priority order:
1. Connect to the RCA aux/cd input on my amp to play music in a decent format (probably WAV since mine and my dad's shared CD collection is in this format on his HDD).
2. Upload new CDs to a media library
3. Connect via HDMI to TV for DVD (+/- bluray - not yet decided) play back, streaming from iplayer, 4od, Netflix etc.
4. Connect the output from my amp to the pc to record vinyl so I have access to this music in my car/on my mp3 player.
5. Possible PVR function in future.

The build I am looking at is:

Streacom ST-FC5ODB HTPC Fanless Aluminium Case - Black
MSI H61I-E35 Intel H61 (Socket 1155) DDR3 ITX Motherboard
Intel® Core™ i3 2120T CPU for low power consumption (35W TDP)
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint M8 2.5" SATA 3Gb/s 5400RPM 8MB 9.5mm HDD
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333Mhz CL9 Value Select Desktop Memory Kit
Streacom Sony AD-7640S Slot Load DVD+/-RW Drive
Streacom IR remote contol + usb receiver

And then adding Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD for improved sound quality and possibly a USB digital TV card for PVR function at a later date.

I'm not sure if I will be able to power on or wake from sleep using the remote and this motherboard but it should provide control once booted.

I would be grateful of any comments or advice on this build (i.e. any compatibility issues I have overlooked as someone new to pc building) prior to me starting the build.

Thanks

Jonny

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
I think I read the MSI H61I-E35 doesn't do AHCI or something else was wrong with sata connection, if you want a cheap H61 ITX board I use this one:

TH61 ITX :: Motherboard :: BIOSTAR

I think if you are going fanless you definitely want an SSD in their not an HDD, to boot at least. Better to have files external (nas or USB) if you can't fit an HDD as a data drive.

If you want a silent case I use an akasa crytpo with pico power, and case fan quietened, I can't hear it, also you can then use an AMD A6 which will give better graphics.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom