1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Home Cinema

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mrmc74, Nov 28, 2001.

1. mrmc74

mrmc74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've read a few negative posts about the Sony DAVS800.
    Is it a reasonable introduction into home cinema for ~£640?

For ~£1700 I could choose: Denon 3802, Denon 3300 and a Mission FS2-AV.

Can a novice really tell the difference when I'll be using it at relatively low volumes? What does that extra £1000 buy me?

Cheers for any advice.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Even at low volumes you would be able to tell the difference between DAV and the more expensive gear that you mentioned but that is to be expected when comparing most things that cost £650 with others that cost double and treble.

Most of the negative comments are regarding connectivity and upgradeability. Most home cinema fans want to watch the best possible picture and that means using the RGB outputs from the DVD player and Digibox but the DAV doesn't output in RGB (or even use scart connections)

Once into home cinema most of us have wanted to upgrade the weakest link at some time or another but with a an "all in one" you have to get rid of the lot.

There is better quality equipment for sale at around the same price as the DAV as a look at Richer Sounds website will show and that has the advantage of connectivity and upgradeability.

The acid test is the demo - why not arrange a comparative test and make your own mind up.

Regards

Ian