1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to home cinema, like some help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by H4r7y, Jun 17, 2003.

1. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

got a sony str 245 5.1 analogue reciever.
    but it says its got digital cinema sound (i thought digital and analogue were 2 different things)
    my dvd player has got dolby digital output and DTS output.
    ive got some wharfedale book shelf speakers which are 8 ohms, would these do for rear speakers?
    anyone that can simplify all this for me, so i can understand if it will all work together, im a little confused at the moment

thx

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

The SONY STR245 is a Prologic only Surround sound decoder. This means that it cannot accept the Dolby Digital or DTS digital signals from your DVD player.

The reason it says it has Digital Cinema sound is because internally it converts the signal from analogue to digital to perform the Dolby Pro Logic decoding on it then it converts it back to analogue.

To connect this up use the stereo analogue outputs from your DVD player. The Sony Prologic decoder can extract the surround information that will have been encoded by your DVD player into the stereo signal. This is not as good a Dolby Digitla but it will give you a surround effect.

If your DVD player has a six channel output connect that to the six channel input on the Sony (probably labeled 5.1 the .1 is the subwoofer channel). In this case the DVD player will have decoded the Dolby Digital or DTS for you and the Sony will just be working as a volume control and five power amplifiers.

Your Warfedales will make excellent rear speakers.

I hope you didn't pay much for the Sony it is a very old surround decoder. If you catch the bug and want to upgrade a surround decoder with Dolby Digital and DTS would significantly improve the sound quality you will get. Products that include these features will have a Logo on the front to tell you they are included, its a requirement for the licence that the logo is there.

Regards,
    Andrew Dutton

3. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for the info, made it a bit more sense :D

i payed 100 quid for it about a year ago, so it will be ok for surround sound then, but wont be as good as DTS?
    what will the differences be though, im not a hardcore audio techy guy. all i want is to hear things go past on the screen etc.

4. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The three most obvious differences are :
    1) With Dolby Digital and DTS the surrounds are stereo and full audio bandwidth rather than mono and restricted bandwidth.
    2) The addition of a dedicated subwoofer channel for DD and DTS.
    3) The encoding for DD and DTS is as discrete channels rather than fudging four channels into a stereo pair, so the imaging is much more accurate.
    I'm sure other people could come up with many other differences but I think these are the most noticeable.
    Hope this helps.

5. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the amp has a sub out put, is that not wot ur on about ?
    i thought 5.1 was good too even if it was analogue, wot i mean is 5 chanels and 1 sub.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All Pro-Logic units have a Subwoofer output, but this isn't discrete, the LF is mixed from the L/R channels.

5.1 is good- you haven't got it unfortunately. You might have 5 speakers and a subwoofer, but it's not 5.1 (6 channels of discrete audio)

Pro-Logic is only two channels of discrete audio, the centre, mono rear and subwoofer is matrixed from the L/R's.

7. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol right.
    best get a new amp then if i want real good quality audio for my films.

thx to all for the help
    sorry for being a dumby too

:)