1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New To HDTV and Salesmen Just want to con me!! someone help?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Tosh_P, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Tosh_P

Tosh_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    any help would be much appreciated,
    my situation is..... i am moving into my new flat and have my money set aside for my home entertainment system, but the store salesman see me has an easy target with limited knowledge and just point me to the most expensive tv, and tell me "thats what i want"

The TV i have my sights on is the Samsung LE40R51BX , and i have my xbox 360 pre ordered and also want a decent dvd recorder!

1) u think the samsung LE40R51BX tv is a good choice (£1800 limit for tv)
    2) how can i get the best out of dvd recorder and xbox 360? and what is needed for this?
    3) I have noticed stuff on hd dvd Vs Blue ray? i need to worry about this when purchasing everything?
    4) anything else i need to know or think about?

Thanks!!!!!

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Don't believe anything a salesman tells you.
    Keep your options open - there are lots of different displays out there.
    Whatever you do, get one that is HD ready as defined by EICTA.
    Don't forget you can get a 42/43" high def Pioneer or Panasonic plasma, or a 50" DLP rear projection TV for that budget. (just not the Sagem 50" one if you want to use Blu-Ray or Sky HD) I think that's what most people would do.

3. Tosh_P

Tosh_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnx m8! any idea what cables etc required to get best out of dvd recorder and xbox 360?

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    The best interconnections are HDMI, DVI, VGA or component. It doesn't matter THAT much which one.

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I'd suggest that you ensure you get a display with HDMI or DVI with HDCP if you want to ensure compatibility with HD-DVD, BluRay and all broadcasts via Sky HD.

If you buy a set with the "HD Ready" European logo (not one that is just described as HDTV Ready) then this will guarantee HDMI/DVI+HDCP and Component analogue HD inputs compatible with all current proposed broadcast and replay HD standards in Europe.

6. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    1) u think the samsung LE40R51BX tv is a good choice (£1800 limit for tv)
    Check out this thread in the LCD forum. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224845&highlight=le40
    Ive only had a quick scan, but ppl seem pretty impressed with it. Like welwynnick also said though, keep your options open try and get to see your favourites set up in a shop etc.

2) how can i get the best out of dvd recorder and xbox 360? and what is needed for this?
    Xbox360 comes with component video cables (assuming you pre-ordered the full system, if you only ordered the core system you wil need to buy these as an extra). These will connect straight up to the component sockets (3) on the back of the samsung, along with the 2 audio cables.
    Problem with this, is getting the most from your DVD player/recorder will also need these sockets. You can get a 2 into 1 component switcher, or alternatively you can buy the VGA cable extra for the xbox360 and plug that into the VGA socket, leaving the component free for the DVD recorder.

3) I have noticed stuff on hd dvd Vs Blue ray? i need to worry about this when purchasing everything?
    Not really. The only thing you need to worry about is the display, make sure its "HD Ready" and confirm it has a HDMI or DVI(HDCP) socket on the back of it. Your all set with the samsung in this regard.

4) anything else i need to know or think about?
    Probably :). Get your head stuck right into this forum for a while, and search for every scrap of info you can find relating to anything your looking at buying.

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Remember that plasmas have burning issues and if you play games on a plasma with your 360 you run the risk of burning it.

If you intend to play games then i recomend you go for either an LCD tv or a rear projector.

Get a display that has at least 2 HDMI inputs, a couple of comonents and anything else you want. (s-video, scart)

Blu ray and HD DVD as well as the PS3 may use HDCP conections like HDMI so they are a must for the future.

Study up on whats available and decide what the best thing for you is.

For movies and TV a plasma would be good, but if you add gaming to the mix, i recomend LCD.

8. Tosh_P

Tosh_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanls for the help guys, much appreciated!
    on your reply AML, is there many options for tv's with 2 HDMI inputs? most i have looked at only have 1? is there not any device/adapter available to create more than 1 if my tv only has 1?

9. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Plenty of devices to split HDMI (Gefen boxes and amps) but all very expensive at the moment

Not many TV's with two HDMI sockets at the moment, you might not be able to stretch to pioneer's pdp 43* series of plasma which on th ehigher model has two. Toshiba have a new version of their LCD range out with two HDMI which probably IS within your price range.

personally the le40 you're allready looking at is a damn good choice, particularly for the 360, you could combine with the Samsung DVDHD950 (HDMI upsampling DVD player) for about 120 quid.

The only problem you'll get is with Sky HD, but as has been said previously the first gen of Sky HD should work over component, which is alot cheaper to share between different sources, I rigged up a splitter to go from the xbox to a HD projector and a sammy LCD for about a fiver!

I would chuck in a mention for the bargain-tastic 45" Sagem RPTV which is only around 1300 on the high street, but is obviously not as wife friendly as an LCD!

Good Luck!

10. Tosh_P

Tosh_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnx m8, very helpful,, think i'll for the samsung after looking at these gefen switchers!! 1 more thing to ask,
    1) when i have the tv and surround sound speaker system,
    2) buy the dvd recorder,
    3) and also the xbox 360
    what switch will i need to get the best out all bearing in mind i'm also wanting sky hd when launches!

4x1 HD Switcher, 3x1 HDMI Switcher, 4x1 HDMI Switcher,, or they all wrong and need something else?

also i'm wanting a dvd recorder with around 80 gig storage, should i be looking at buying 1 with surround sound speaker system included or i buy that seperate?

thanks!!!