1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to HCPC...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Melvin, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Melvin

Melvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,
    I'm new to HCPC and I would like to get a few questions off my chest. So please be patient and just try to see past my ignorance to the subject in hand. Here goes..

1. Why is the picture from a HCPC better than the picture from a good standalone DVD player?

2. What are the minimum requirements for good picture and sound from a PC? Also, how much will I need to spend?

3. What is the current state of the art in HCPC?

4. Is there a digital output socket (coaxial) at the back of a PC so that I can plug a cable straight into the back of my 5.1 channel amp?

5. Surely a PC is not practical. How do you get around the menu and the basic controls without a remote control. Have you ever tried using a mouse in the dark?

6. I can plug a PC straight into my TV via the VGA input slot. Would this input be superior to the RGB input (using a DVD player)
    on the TV?

Many thanks...
    I would appreciate it if someone could answer as many of my questions as possible.

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1: Why is the picture from a HCPC better than the picture from a good standalone DVD player?

> Increase in quality is only really for those using plasma or projector, as with the PC you can map the resolution of the output to exactly yhe same as the display device.

2. What are the minimum requirements for good picture and sound from a PC? Also, how much will I need to spend?

> A fairly cheap setup would be fine for HCPC DVD reproduction.

4. Is there a digital output socket (coaxial) at the back of a PC so that I can plug a cable straight into the back of my 5.1 channel amp?

> As long as you buy the right soundcard.

5. Surely a PC is not practical. How do you get around the menu and the basic controls without a remote control. Have you ever tried using a mouse in the dark?

> There are lots of lovely things you can tinker with to make the interface easy(ish) to use. An IR receiver can receive signals from a remote control, and get translated by a fiendish piece of software called Girder, which then passes the appropriate command to your DVD software of choice.

6. I can plug a PC straight into my TV via the VGA input slot. Would this input be superior to the RGB input (using a DVD player)
    on the TV?
    > You mean you have VGA port on your TV? What TV is it?

HTH

3. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have succesfully used a mouse in the dark. To do this it's best to have an optical mouse which work on a wide variety of surfaces e.g. trouser leg, back of hand, armchair. As long as you can see the pointer (illuminated trails could be useful here) there's no problem.

4. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hi, sorry to butt in on this thread, as im new and also have a few questions:
    the Tosh 32zd26p CRT TV has NTSC progressive scan via component input. i know i can maybe MAKE a VGA to component converter and output 480p to my TV.
    would the picture be supirior to that of a standalone dvd player?

also which software is the best as i have Powerdvd (need DTS), ATI 7.6 and have tried WinDVD (but didnt like the way it functioned and didnt seem nice to me).
    Also should i use the hardware decoding? This is for both a Radeon 7500 on an Athlon 900mhz. And an AIW RagePro on a Ahlon XP1800.
    i hope u can help me with my quieries thanks. :)

5. Melvin

Melvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    RichardH,
    Thanks for the answers to my questions.

> You mean you have VGA port on your TV? What TV is it?

The answer to your question is the Sony 32FD1. It was the first flat screen CRT TV brought out by Sony. It has two VGA inputs. One at the front and one on the rear panel of the TV. These are both as yet untested.

Cheers....

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I have some experince with TVs with VGA inputs, I have a Loewe Aconda which has one and I've tested the input on the Sony FD1 before. The Lowewe Aconda looks great using an HTPC connected this way, much better than RGB or svideo. The No1 limitation I had was the fixed 60Hz refresh rate. This is fine for R1 NTSC DVDs but not good with R2 PAL stuff, it might be OK now though because the software players have got much better at handling non standard refresh rates.

Jeff