1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to hc or ht pc PLEZ CAN SOMEONE HELP

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by showcase, Jan 2, 2005.

1. showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    this might sound stupid but whats the difference between hc and ht pc?
    ok yeh u guessd it i'm new to this...........

ok firstly i'v got this pc;
    2.4 p4
    1.3gig sdram,
    80 gig
    9700 pro graphics card
    creative audigy platnum sound card 6.1

ok from the pc i got, whats the difference between my pc and ht or hc pc's

i just need to get my head round it,
    i want to connect my pc to my 50" tv

i also want to know about software i need, and what they do etc, basically can some one tell me what i need to do.
    i'v read the other links about software etc, but as i'm new to this, dont now what to look out for
    also want to play multi-region dvd's, etc
    basically i just need help to sort it all out, from step 1 to whatever

i have powerstrip already and i'v tested it on my tv it works fine, i'v been reading about ht/hc pc's and its all................... well u get the picture

so plez can someone help me
    cheers in advance
  2. zAndy1

Nov 26, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    HC and HT PC are the same, one is Home Cinema PC and the other is Home Theater PC. No difference just another acronym that's all. At the end of the day a HTPC is just a PC that is used in a home cinema for playing music/movies etc. It's no different to any other PC fundamentally but due to the nature of the job it does the components will be carefully selected to reduce heat/noise and to look aesthetically pleasing. It all depends at the end of the day what you want to use your HTPC for, that will pretty much determine the component list. If you want to playback high definition material i.e. material with a resolution of 1920x1080 or 1280x720 then you ought to be looking at a minimum of an Intel P4 2.8Ghz (3Ghz better). For normal dvd playback a fairly modest CPU will do fine (i.e your P4 2.4 is fine) but then if you want to apply post processing to the image e.g. using FFDSHOW then you really need to be looking at a P4 2.8Ghz again, although your 2.4 might be ok). Some of the latest graphics cards e.g. Nvidia 6600GT are capable of taking a lot of the load off the CPU now for hidef decoding but I would still recommend a P4 3Ghz or an Athlon 64 3000 to give yourself some headroom. If you want to store lots of films on your HTPC then you will need a bigger hard drive, 80GB is fine if you just plan on storing some music on there and don't want to store movies or record TV onto it. If you do want to store films and/or record tv then you want to be looking at a HD at least 200GB. The other major factor with HTPCs is the noise, I bet your current PC isn't exactly quiet is it? When building a HTPC people select the power supply carefully and get graphics cards without fans and passive CPU coolers from e.g. Zalman. Wherever there's a fan there's potential noise so anything that can be done to alleviate that noise is worth concentrating on. What TV do you have exactly? Does it have a VGA input or just scart/svideo? It will seem overwhelming at first but take some time to read up on e.g. www.avsforum.com in the home theater pc forum as well as this forum here. Also www.htpcnews.com is a good source of info. It's not rocket science but it does take some commitment to build a nice HTPC that will be useable by the family (trust me I've been there!). For my next project I'll be going with Windows media centre 2005 edition as it provides a nice frontend that anyone can use and a remote control. I'd say your current spec is fine for your average HTPC duties, experiment and see what you can achieve. It's worth the effort trust me!
    Let me/us know if there's anything else you need to know...

3. showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    hey your a star thanks for taking yor tame explaining it. :thumbsup:

well the htpc is for high res and for dvd playback thats what i want it for.
    i have the DLP sagem axium 50" TV, i can't wait when i get all my stuff together, surround sound speakers, pc etc.
    at the mo i'm extending my backroom so the tv will be up against the middle of the back wall with speaker on each side etc etc your getting bored already

cheers for your help i will start looking at the components, any ideas on what kind of mother board i should get.
    if i dont have fans in the pc will it not over heat? i now i can get cooling system for the cpu but what about the graphics card? no worries i'll ty reasearching, thanks for the website

if u think i should know anything. or what i need to look out for e-mail me

cheers in advance