New to FTTP

Bepto

I am soon to move into a new build flat that has FTTP & need advise on setup. I will be going with BT full fiber 900 when I move in. The BT box thing (sorry) is in the hallway & there is one ethernet port in the living room near the TV ariel socket. I will be using the second bedroom as my main PC/Gaming space & there are no ehternet ports in there.

Given that I would like the best possible speeds for my gaming/streaming setup in the bedroom what is the best way to connect everything up? I dont mind replacing the BT hub if that is nessesary & am OK to purchase any other equipment needed to facilitate good speeds. I would rather not be chopping bits out of walls unless absolutely essential though.

psychopomp1

Does your flat have wafer thin walls, like most new builds do? If so, then you may find you can game, stream 4K video etc over wifi on the BT hub, but to get close to gigabit speeds wirelessly you will need to invest in a wifi 6 router and also wifi 6 clients - the BT supplied router is only wifi 5. Something like the Netgear RAX200 or Asus RT-AX86U would be a massive improvement over the BT router (even for wifi 5 clients).

spile

See how you get on with the SH2. You will need it if you keep your BT landline on Digital Voice. If you find you need better Wi-Fi than the SH2 provides, then I would get a wireless access point rather than replacing the router per se.

oneman

As much as the Asus is a great bit of kit you can't beat the reliability and cost of running a Ethernet cable,

If there isn't spare ethernet port in BT box in the hallway. 5 port switch (gives 4 extra ports + 1 uplink) - £15

NETGEAR 5 Port Gigabit Network Switch (GS305) -Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet Splitter, Plug-and-Play, Silent Operation, Desktop or Wall Mount Amazon product

20m of flat Ethernet cable, £8.50. it is very easy to hide, run along skirting boards, under doors, under edge of carpet, etc. If you running along skirting I suggest instead of using the nail in clips, use double sided sticky tape and stick to wall and then paint over it.

Deal: Gulaey 20m Cat6 Ethernet Cable, Long Internet Cables High-Speed Patch Cord Flat Design 1Gbps for 250Mhz/s UTP for Console, PS3, PS4, PS5, Switch, Router, Modem, Patch Panel, PC, TV, Home Office Amazon product
You will also need a short ethernet patch lead for connecting the switch to the port in the living room. Can't remember but the switch may come with one.

Last edited:

Bepto

So I assume the BT hub will have 4 ports, 1x of these will have the living room cable plugged in? leaving 3. I can connect a switch to the port in the living room giving extra ports in there? Then run 1x cable from hub to spare room and connect another switch there? is that the best way, I was thinking maybe put the router in the spare room someway.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
That should be fine.The only real rule with ethernet topology is you must not create any loops. If you do, the network will pretty quickly become gridlocked with endlessly circling broadcast traffic.

The interlinks are of course a resource with finite capacity (just like any other ethernet lobe) but in the SOHO use case, if they are 1000mbps (gigabit) links then you are unlikely to have any issues unless you spend all day copying massive files about.

Technically each switch adds a bit of additional latency (lag) but for gigabit ethernet switches, I doubt you'll be able to measure it let alone "notice" it in normal use.

oneman

So I assume the BT hub will have 4 ports, 1x of these will have the living room cable plugged in? leaving 3. I can connect a switch to the port in the living room giving extra ports in there? Then run 1x cable from hub to spare room and connect another switch there? is that the best way, I was thinking maybe put the router in the spare room someway.
Basically yes. You can connect the spare room switch to the BT hub of its easier.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom