1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by neillans, Dec 30, 2003.

1. neillans

neillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to take a peek at Freeview, so purchased a Ferguson FDT 500 (a rebadged Thomson DTI 500).

After messing about with it for the best part of the day, I decided to check the aerial, and to my amazement found out the previous occupant had incorrectly mounted the loft aerial (it was left hanging loosly from the cable!). I remounted it roughly in the position I think it should be (pointing towards the local transmitter), and I can now get the box to tune in 80% or so of the channels.

Unfortunatly absent are the ITV, ITV 2 and Channel 4. I found out the digital channel numbers through http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe, and tried to manually tune in the box, to no avail -- the signal appears to be too weak. I already have a small booster on the aerial, down by the freeview box.

There is another extension in the house on the aerial that is not used -- will be disconnecting this tomorrow. There is also an unidentified cable on the aerial, which goes in the complete oppisite direction to the 'standard' cable.. Is it worth disconnecting this too ?

Any suggestions, before I callout a CAI approved installer to take a look / quote for a new aerial?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi & welcome to the mad house!

Get rid of the signal booster at the STB as anything this boosts will include interference. Instead replace it with a masthead amp tha is fitted onto the ariel. Also consider replacing the coax cable with new double shielded satalitte coax to help prevent interference being picked up between ariel & STB.

Mark.

3. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats rubbish, removing the booster will just decrease the signal, and not the interference (which isn't a problem usally). If you cannot recieve ITV and channel 4, you are probably missing a mux (multiplex), which is mux 2, and contains ITV 1 and 2, channel 4, S4C (wales only), and the ITV news channels among others. If you are missing these you may need a wideband aerial depending on where you are living.

Rich

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    supersonic..... That's rubbish (to quote a phrase I wouldn't normally use).

What mark... said, in effect, was to replace the signal booster with a masthead amplifier. That WILL undoubtedly improve things, although whether by enough is another question.

I agree, however, that a contributory cause is probably a single group aerial which isn't receiving one of the muxes sufficiently well and that a wideband aerial will probably help, as indeed will replacement downleads. But, given a masthead amplifier, these may not be necessary.

5. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    But if using a signal booster recieves 80% of channels without serious breakup, a masthead amp is overkill (especially with only one set), a signal booster is more than enough (if there is serious breakup though, you will nedd a masthead amp if you have a decent aerial)

Rich

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    supersonic87

I was trying to offer cheaper solutions rather than spending upto £200 or more on getting the ariel replaced. No, there are no guarentees with what I suggested, but should only cost around £40-£50. There is always a chance that even with an new professionally installed ariel not all channels would be available (unlikely, but a chance) so the cheaper options IMHO are worth a try first.

Mark.

7. neillans

neillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice so far :)

I went hunting round the D-I-Y, etc shops today, and managed to pick up a UHF wideband aerial for a decent price -- no-one had any masthead amps in :(

Fitted the aerial this evening, and I have ITV, etc :) Definatly made an amazing jump in the signal quality!

I plan on doing the downlink cables and adding a masthead amp over the next week or so, as I now want to put another Freeview box in ;)

Thanks for the excellent forums + advice!

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    You did the right thing. A wideband, high gain aerial should be the first thing to get. They are less than £20.

I have two freeview boxes running just fine on a one aerial. No extra hardware was needed. I do use satellite cable rather than standard coax cable. It is double screened.

A signal booster can increase the interference and also make weak signals worse. I have seen the results. However, it should make a good signal better.

9. DirkGently

DirkGently
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £200 on an Aerial upgrade, I don't want to shop where you do, I've just bought a freeview box and recieved no channels, I spent £8.99 on a wideband aerial from my local B&Q and switched it with the one I had, I now pick up all the channels perfectly for far less than £200.
    --
    Gary

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The big difference here is:

&

The price is for the CAI approved installer and not just the cost of the ariel itself. £200 seems to be about the going rate and that includes new coax etc. and a full warrenty.
    Not everybody is happy climbing on the roof to do an ariel installation themselves.

Mark.

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I went down the CAI route, cost me a little under £200 and worth every single penny. Brand new aerial routed to different rooms with excellent DTT reception and should be the case for decades to come. Also a decent warranty which I hope I never need but it's always a comfort:)
    I know my limits and working 50 feet on a chimney is not for me, the guy who installed my aerial was quick and neat, money well spent.

12. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where gettinga new aerial installed,

the one in the loft wont get any freeview and it cost £39 quid from argos (52 element)

the pro will charge about £200 which IMHO is alot of money, and my dad doesnt want to pay,

i only live in a bungalow so its gonna be a tall pole :(