New to Forum

rubble2

Standard Member
Hi,
I am new to the site, it obviously containes lots of useful information but it is a bit overwhelming to the novice user like me.

I am considering buying a new tv in the New Year (hoping for a bargain in the sales) I don't know wether to go for a 32" LCD or stick with a 32" CRT model as there seems to be some debate over the picture quality of LCD displays.

So the question is what would the experts on this forum recommend? I just want to use the tv for standard terestial tv, sky, and dvd inputs. Is there a massive difference between different models? and which would people recommend? Budget for LCD would be £700 max.

Thanks in advance

Genius247

Standard Member
A big favourite for a very good 32 LCD budget is the toshiba 32wlt66 that can be bought from dixons for £570 with codes.

You have other options from samsung at 32" which are very good also, i think its the r73, and can hold a htpc (home theatre pc) input at 1:1 (this means that all the pixels on the screen are used properly and there is no stretching).

But if you're not bothered about using a pc i would go for the 32wlt66. A very good set.

Hope this helps.

rogerft

I agree the 32wlt66 was built to sell for £1100 so it is a real bargain. It has some issues with its VGA input but as that is not on your list of uses I don't think you can do better. It also has a very good freeview tuner which is where most of the sets within your budget have problems or omit this feature altogether.

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
considering its christmas and the wlt68 has been released i would wait til after xmas, i reckon price will go down a bit more for the wlt66.

Inactive

Novice Member
Hi rubble and I will welcome you to the forum, as nobody else seems to have done :rolleyes:

My honest opinion is to go for a good quality CRT TV, unless you want to watch the few available programmes that are broadcast in HD.

SD picture quality is quite simply far better on a good CRT, and yes I have seen all of the so called wonder LCD's, none of them can produce as good a picture/sound quality on SD material.

;)

rubble2

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the welcome Inactive.

Seems to be a concensus on the Toshiba being the best LCD, but Inactive's post has reinforced my doubts about whether I am not better sticking with CRT for now. Not doing anything till after Christmas so will give it some further thought

emrysdavies

I agree with Inactive. I have just got rid of my very old Panny and replaced it with a Sony CRT just because I do not like the motion blur on the LCD's, particularly with regard to fast moving sports. Best to wait a couple of years or so until technology settles down or 1080p is well established. My Sony is very, very good and it is a joy to watch football on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom