1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Forum: Firewire Question

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by epyle, Aug 17, 2005.

1. epyle

epyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have finally figured out that I need a FIREWIRE to get the quality that I want in creating a DVD thanks to this site!

However, my Dell does not have one, so I am looking to purchase a card as described in other postings. I see "400" and "800" versions - which is better?

I have a Sony Camcorder (mini tape version). Does the camcorder dictate what kind of card and firewire that I buy or is it universal? Seems like Sony has particular equiptment that is unique to the brand.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    The "400" and "800" is refering to the data rate of 400 Mb/s and 800 Mb/s respectively. 400 was the first version of Firewire and most camcorders with firewire capability have 400 (check your manual). 800 is about 2 years old (I believe) and and I haven't seen many 800 devices. However, if you get an 800 card then it will be backwards compatible with 400 devices.

Hopefully, that's as clear as mud! ;)

Edit: have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire

3. epyle

epyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, that really makes sense. One more thing - is the card relatively easy to install myself or should I spend the extra bucks on an external one?

I actually bought a read/write R+/R-, RW+/RW- etc etc drive so that I can make a DVD that I can watch on the TV DVD player. I have had a lot of issues with compatibility between the camcorder, the software, and the hardware. This site is a godsend. I was actually considering hiring someone to come to my home and set this up because I have spent DAYS trying to get it to work with no luck yet.

Thank you so much!!!!

4. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of the same thing Epyle. I have a Dell pentium 4 and a don't think its got firewire. I tihnk I'd prefer an external Firewire but I am not sure if you can get these.

5. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    It takes seconds to install a Firewire card.

* switch your computer off and unplug it
    * take the case off your computer
    * make sure you've got a spare PCI slot
    * you may need to take the blanking plate off the case so that the firewire sockets can poke through
    * push the firewire card firmly into the slot (don't touch any of the electronics as you may accidently damage them)
    * put the case back on
    * plug your computer back in and switch your computer back on

Everything should be OK.

And just think, if you went to PC World, they would have charged you 30 odd quid! All donations welcomed! :rotfl:

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    No you can't! Firewire cards either plug directly onto the motherboards PCI slots, or on a laptop are via the PCMCIA slots. Firewire is faster continuous transfer speed than USB2.0 and therefore there are no external ports on a PC that could be used for an external firewire card.
    As has already been posted, adding a PCI firewire card is very simple. Just remove the blanking plate and push the card onto the MoBo. As long as you are running Windows 98se or later there is no need to install any software or drivers for the card. Windows will just detect the new hardware and instal its own drivers.

Mark.

ps, I install firewire cards in return for beer tokens :thumbsup:

7. testingtimes

testingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble installing hardware?

Tell me about it, I've spent many a weekend screaming at everyone that comes anywhere near me because it just WON'T BLOODY WORK. It can be highly frustrating, although not wanting to sound like a careers advisor - it can be very rewarding too when it all goes right

This site gives a step by step guide with pictures: http://www.directron.com/fireguide.html

I've not tried it so can't vouch for its reliability, but using what knowledge I have of installing hardware, it seams pretty straight forward. If like me when you start doing this kind of thing, you didn't know what PCI slot is from a... whatever, this explains and you'll go "oh yeah! I've got one of them"

Hope it helps.

8. epyle

epyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the US they are selling extenal firewire drives (Dell website) but I am going to take your advice and try to install one myself.

Unfortunately I do not know what a beer token is. If I did, I would send you one. Anyways, if beer makes you this smart, keep drinking it!

9. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    An external firewire harddrive is exactly that: a harddrive housed in a case that has firewire connectivity back to a firewire card. The firewire harddrive is not a firewire card, it needs one to work. Just think of external USB harddrives - you plug them into USB ports on your computer.

Beer token = money ;)