1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to dvi....advice please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pave, Nov 30, 2004.

1. pave

pave
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Hi,well i have taken the plunge and just bought the denon 3910,just started to try it out,i have it hooked up to a HS10 with a 10m dvi cable,The cable was very cheap,£50,from sevenoaks

not impressed with the picture,I am sure i am doing something wrong,could you give me some advice,

Would buying a more expensive cable improve the pic,at the moment when I try 720 it is very snowy in the pic,is the correct setting for the optimum pic,
    Have tried to find the answer on the forums,but got totally confused :laugh:

Any help would be great :thumbsup:

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not familiar with connecting up to an HS10, but one observation about the cable, 10m is rather long for a DVI cable. I use a 2m Supra cable (which cost about £40) and on the box it says that (Supra) cables up to 8m support 720p and 1080i. Their longer (12m) cable will only support 576p/576i.

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Am I right in saying that you connect these mahines using a component cable? You could see what 720p gives you to see whether its the DVI cable or a problem with one of the mahines?
    Azzo

4. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry, ignore my last comment I don't think the denon's upscale via component only DVI.
    Azzo

5. pave

pave
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Thanks for the advice,yeah,i thought it might be the length of cable,so i emailed joe,see what he recommmends,guess i will need to spend a few more pounds :)

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I got a 1m Monster DVi cable. Quality is superb. Picture is also much better than with the old cable I used. The "snow" will go away once you get a better, shorter cable.

With DVi, the shorter the better.