1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to dvd recorders.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by baxter, Jan 17, 2005.

1. baxter

baxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am new to DVD recorders so sorry if this question comes across as being stupid.
    I have just bought a Sony DVD recorder model rgr-gx300.It is plugged into a Sony Trinitron digital TV set. The TV has two type of viewing mode, digital and analogue. We always watch it in digital mode as the picture and sound is far superior to the analogue channels. We also receive greater range of channels in digital mode, i.e. tv2, BBC 3 etc.
    We connected the recorder up through the RF cables and a scart connection into line 1 of the recorder from the TV.
    The set up was simple and instruction manual tells us "using the smart link connection you can download the tuner present data from your TV to this recorder and tune the recorder according to that data".
    During set up there are two processes happen first via the scart smart link the recorder downloads the data from the TV, second it auto tunes itself. I assume the first is for the digital channels the second for the analogue channels.
    When we view the available channels all we get are the analogue channels. It seems that none of the superior digital channels have been stored anywhere on the recorder. We can only record the analogue side of our TV via the unit itself.
    The only way we can record the digital channels is via the scart, outputting the TV channel to it, thus we can't turn the TV channel over.
    Surely this can't be right, like I said maybe this is a stupid question but I would have though a DVD recorder would store all the digital channels internally. Please am I missing something?
    Cheers baxter

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The GX300 only has an analogue tuner - it can't 'store' or see the digital TV channels unless viewing your TV's output via Scart (which means you are stuck on that channel). I would suggest getting a seperate freeview Digibox that you can use with the GX300. Or alternatively is taking the GX300 back to the shop an option and getting the GXD500 (Freeview DVD Recorder) instead?

3. baxter

baxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, it's cleared up my problem. fraid exchanging it isn't really the solution, cash is kind a tight this time of year.
    This is probably I silly question as well. I know that you can get signal convertors, ie svga to pal. is there on the market a signal convertor for this or maybe an external digital tuner that can be fitted.
    Anyway thanks baxter