1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to DVD recorders.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by neilneil, Jun 21, 2004.

1. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi,
    Sorry about the long post but I've come to a dead end.
    I've just bought a new PC that came with a smart new DVD recorder an NEC 2510A.
    Except I've only been able to write about 50mb to it ONCE and then the disk was useless! The disk that I managed to write 50mb to was a TDK -RW. When I tried to do a full erase on this disk it failed at about 48% with an "Invalid field in CDB error". Now whenever I try to erase that -RW disk the TX ONES program crashes and exits instantly.

The software it came with is called TX ONES (I don't think it's very good software but it's all I've got right now)
    I need help / guidance on the following:-

1) I'm using win XP home, do I need to install any drivers for my drive to be able to write disks?

2) I bought branded TDK -R and -RW disks for my first test since I read that those were the most compatible with standalone DVD players. Should I have bought +R/RW or another disk brand?

3) If the disk says 2x speed does it have to be recorded at 2x speed or will it be better at 1x speed?

4) Does the disk (R or RW) need to be formatted in any way before I can use it if so how?

5) 99 percent of the times I've tried to burn a disk either -R or -RW it has complained that either there was not enough room on the disk (a blank disk no less!) or that there was an error 05-24-00 Cmd:53 - Invalid field in CDB.
    Whats all that about?

6) Do I need to set the drives region code or any other procedure before it will work properly?

7) Is my drive dead on arrivall !?

2. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I've tried to answer the questions the best I can one by one...

Nope

It depends on the drive. For a given brand, burn quality will vary from drive to drive. Thats to say, a TDK disc may burn very well with a Pioneer drive but not so well with a NEC drive. However, TDK are normally a well supported brand between DVD manufacturers so I'd have thought they'd be ok. Nevertheless, see if you can try a different brand and see if theres any difference in performance. I generally only go for discs manufactured by either Taiyo Yuden (arguably the best out there) or Mitsubishi Chemicals.

The disc will burn at all speeds specified on the disc (provided the drive is capable). Again, it depends on the media and drive used - some produce more errors at lower burn speeds than higher burn speeds and vice versa.

Nope. Unless you're planning on using the disc in a similar way to your hard drive. In this case the disc will need be be formatted (DirectCD iif you were to use EZCD or InCD if you were to use Nero Burning ROM).

Not sure about this one. A DVD will burn upto 4.7GB (thats about 4.37GB of 'actual' data).

No you don't.

Well, before deciding, try the following:

- Make sure you set the Master / Slave settings correctly. Cable Select (CS) causes problems on some systems.

- Set the transfer mode of the drive to 'DMA'. (Right click 'My Computer' -> 'Properties' -> 'Hardware' -> 'Device Manager' -> 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' -> Right click 'Secondary IDE Channel' -> 'Properties' -> Advanced Settings'

- Try different burning software - never heard of TX ONES to be honest. Head over to Nero's website (http://www.ahead.de/en/index.html) and download the demo version.

- Try different media.

- See if the drive will burn CDR's.

Also, you're not trying to burn a 4.7GB DVD as dual layer are you? Just a thought...

Anyway, hope this is of some help. Hopefully, you'll get it working soon ;).

Alex

By the way, you seemed to create multiple threads on this subject. I don't know if you can delete the others?

3. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Insert Name Here,
    Thanks for your reply.
    This site stopped responding completely when I posted from work so I hit the send button a couple of times to try and get a response (heance the multiple replies). Thanks to whoever deleted the duplicates I could only edit them to say sorry myself. :(

The good news is that I took your advice and DL'd a trial copy of nero. And it worked fine, I can now burn a working DVD. :clap:
    The Software included with my drive 'TX ONES' which claims to 'discover' new drives without the need of new drivers was cr@p.
    Nero sorted it out fine and it was even aware of the dual layer capability for my drive, it appears after talking to them that my PC vendor 'msquared' is happy to supply me nero express instead of the TX ONES software.

Thankyou again for helping me out, when I didn't know what to do. As a seasoned user of many PC products myself it is easy to skip over the 'newbie' calls for help. But having a product (DVD writer) that I had no previous knowledge of I was once again a newbie struggeling to understand something new. I will try and be more helpfull myself when I can.

Thanks also to msquared for offering to change the included software so quickly when we tracked down the culprit.

-Neil Sumner