New to dvd recorders - please help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by c18udy, Dec 16, 2004.

1. c18udy

c18udy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Thinking about getting a dvd recorder for xmas but had a few questions before i spend all my dosh

Looking to spend no more than approx £170 so first question is any sugestions?

I have seen a few on dixons - are they any good?

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...sku=007681&category_oid=-21898&fm=5&sm=1&tm=1

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...sku=818193&category_oid=-21898&fm=5&sm=1&tm=1

Also i have a TV/VCR combined tele - would i be able to recored from video to dvd easily ?

Does this included rented videos?

really apreciate any help you can give

Thanks

2. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As on DS - Pioneer 220 or Pana E55 for around £170.

Cliff
    (and those links STILL don't work!)

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'll second that - and if your TV can output VHS to the scart socket, you should be able to transfer tapes, but you'll need one of these to record commercial VHS tapes to DVD.

4. c18udy

c18udy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just purchased the ASDA 4-Cus recorder (same as the Liton - but not as nice to look at), and Im well impressed for £130 notes. The DV-I link was bad through, but that might be down to my camcorder. Switching to Anaolg was better, and recording from cable in HW mode is great for me.

Regards
    Mass

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Liteon isn't bad, but the Matsui is an "own brand" which I wouldn't go near ! Liteon make drives which are rebadged for many manufacturers. However, if it were me, I'd save up a bit longer and get a Pannie E55 :thumbsup: :)

7. c18udy

c18udy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im still a bit confused about what can be recorded and what cant and a few other simple questions

Can i record rented videos (i have a tv/vcr combo tele)
    can i record from sky
    can i record bought videos
    how much can i fit on a normal recordable dvd
    does a recordable work the same as a video - record over it and the stuff on there stays on (if the first programme was longer)
    if i have a playstation can i record dvds from that ?

Thanks again

8. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can i record rented videos (i have a tv/vcr combo tele)?
    If your combo sends out a signal from an external connection then in principle yes you could (see instructions for your combo unit). As someone has mentioned before most commercial videos (inc rented) have copy protection encoded which will stop the DVD recorder recording unless you use a 3rd party device connected inbetween the combo and the DVD recorder.

can i record from sky ?
    Yes

can i record bought videos ?Same answer as for rented videos

how much can i fit on a normal recordable dvd ?Depends on the DVD Recorder but typically 2-3 hours in high quality, 4 hours in low quality and upto 6 hours in very low quality

does a recordable work the same as a video - record over it and the stuff on there stays on (if the first programme was longer) ?
    Not Really. You can use write once discs which are ideal for recordings you wish to keep or give away to friends. Or you can use re-write discs which are more like videos in that you can record something tonight, watch it, then delete it off the disc and re-record something on the same disc tomorrow night. If youve got 2 recordings on 1 disc you can delete 1 and re-use that space on the disc whilst still keeping the other recording intact on the disc.

if i have a playstation can i record dvds from that ?
    Not sure on this one

Finally, if your looking for a DVD recorder to be used as a replacement for video you won't be disappointed - the picture quality, even on 4 hour recording quality is as good as any VHS recorder i've seen and on 2 hour recording quality its perfect - no lines, skips or sound quality blips as per VHS.

9. c18udy

c18udy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks so much for those answers - starting to get a clearer picture now

Whats the main difference between say the LITEON LVW5001B £130 in dixons and say a players for £250+

10. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The more you pay the more likely it is that the thing will actually work!

Japanese quality brands (Sony, Panasonic, Pinoeer, JVC, Yamaha) have huge R&D teams and multi-million-$ development budgets making sure that what you buy has been thoroughly tested before it ever hits of the shores of Europe.

No name Chinese/Taiwanese brands (Liteon, Relisys, Targa, Technosonic) have a budget of three sticky toffees that have got hairy in the bottom of someones pocket and a guy called Fung with a sledgehammer who sits out back and hits each unit as it comes off the production line. If nothing drops off they put it in a box and sell it. You get to become a pioneer technician and do their alpha/beta testing for them. If you find something seriously wrong then, if you're lucky, they post a firware update on their website to fix the problem 18 months later and you have to go through some tortuous procedure to get it into the box. This does not happen if you buy a Sony. (or Pioneer or Panasonic etc.)

The luxury of having something that's been tested generally costs about £30-40 more on a product in the £100-£200 price category.

It's your choice - some people have bought the cheap brands and hit lucky (i.e. they don't need to do any of the things on it that maybe don't quite work just yet!).

As the saying goes "You pays your money and you takes your choice"

Cliff "the cynic"

PS Somewhere in the middle between Japan and China sits the Netherlands (no, really!) and located there is a company called Philips ;-)

11. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    on panasonic e55 how long can i record onto a bog standard disc? not refering to ram.

12. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ON a DVD-R the E55 can do:

XP - 1 hour
    SP - 2 hours
    LP - 4 hours
    EP - 8 hours

Cliff

13. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Hi, Can you tell me where to find those machines for those prices please?

Many thanks,

Steve

14. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds have the Pioneer 220 for £169.99:

http://ws4.richersounds.com/product...ch=pioneer&feature=DVDRECORDERS&manufacturer=
    (in the discontinued/last few section at the bottom of the page but most stores are listed as still having 2 or 3)

Personally I ordered the Panasonic E55 from Currys.co.uk for £189 but they had a 10% off code that then reduced this to £170. Sadly that code has now expired though (last Wednesday) so you may find it tricky to get this price.

Cliff