New To Dvd Rec ***help***

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by southpaw, Nov 29, 2003.

1. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

Hope someone can help??

I was gonna buy a new video as my old panasonic is getting on, anyway after seeing the prices of DVD recorders now I thought it'be better to get a dvd recorder.

Anyway I started looking at a Philips Recorder on Amazon for an amazing price of £234 which isn't even a £100 more than the video I was going to get.

So I came on here to look at some of the discussion and everyone (or most people) seem to recommend the Panasonic RAM recorders. Now I am totally new to DVD recorders but I do like Panasonic as a brand (My Video has been superb over the years).

I only know a little about the DVD rec's but always thought that DVDR was a safer bet for the future than RAM but it seems I was wrong.

Anyway what I want is some help and advice. I want the best but am unsure whether what to buy.

I want the best for the least!!! Like everyone else. My thinking is that if I get a good recorder now at a decent price I can get a better one in the future at a more realistic price.

Sorry for going on but I need some help and advice.

Thanks in advance.

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was in the same boat and have just ordered a Panasonic E50 from Comet. it's £249 on the webiste with free delivery which I think beats everywhere else I looked at.

RAM does have compatability problems with other players but is this a problem? The E50 can write to -R as well so if you want to record something that you want to lend to somebody else, do it on -R.

Personally, I will get a RAM burner for my PC and burn everything to RAM on the E50, edit it on the PC and then burn it from that onto -R. Then I can store it cheaply and lend it to others if I feel like it. Also cheap to make a backup of anything you want to keep.

I have Sky+ too but the HDD is getting filled up with things I want to keep but don't want to put on VHS.

I think RAM is the best choice although -RW is also good but the players are dearer. +RW has some cheap Philips players but it seems less flexible to me. Don't want to get in a flame war. Read the stickys at the top off this forum and see what you think.

I guess, at the end of the day, it's a personal choice. I would much rather buy Panasonic than Philips, based purely on personal experience.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    It depends on what you want to do with the recorder. Make a list and see which brand suits you the most.

I have no interest in letting people borrow discs to use on their players. So, the Panasonic was the best option and I cannot live without timeslip now.

Don't forget if you have a PC DVD writer that does everything, then you can burn to +RW or -RW. Then, there will be on way trips with discs. I have a LG 4040B writer that reads and writes all the DVD formats.

There is also the Mico 311from Sainsbury's. It is based on Philips but is only £199.99.

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD+ is the one to go for if you want to record on a disc-then play it in another player,or a ps2,then reuse the disc.If that is not a requirement then a Panasonic will do nicely.

5. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I too am considering a standalone DVD recorder, and I do have a multi-format DVD writer in my PC (+/-, not RAM).

I want to be able to record to -RW or +RW from my Sky box in RGB, edit the ads etc on my PC, then reauthor with my own menus etc and burn back to -R or +R from my PC - my set top player reads both.

Which of the machines accepts RGB in and out? I don't want to go to the highest end of the price scales but I do really want that RGB in!

Course if I could just figure a way to get the Sky footage straight into my PC without dropped frames or audio-sync, I'd be laughing...but that's a whole WORLD of other problems, let me tell you.....!

Anyone help?

dr_m

6. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies so far.

After a little more research I see that people say that RAM is great but that it probably won't be the media of choice in the future (except for PC).

Also with RAM am I right in thinking that the caddied discs are only to be played in a RAM machine but discs without caddies can be played in other machines or must they be recorded in a certain format eg DVDR??

Can someone clear this up for me?

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    RAM will be around for a long time. Don't dimiss RAM so easily.

The Panasonic Recorders can record and play cadddied and non caddied RAM. The Panasonic DVD players can play RAM but only the non caddy RAM.

Any players that cannot take RAM the recording has to be recorded onto DVD-R or converted to RW media using a PC first.

PC DVD RAM drives can normally only read and write to non caddy RAM. The Panasonic DVD writers can use cadddy RAM as well. I alo believe Toshiba can take caddy RAM as well.

I have a LG 4040 which can only take non caddy RAM.

8. ShaunIOW

ShaunIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or watch and wipe recordings on the player or for archiving RAM is the way to go for it's editing abilities. I've also noticed that for sharing recordings DVD-R is a lot more compatible with normal DVD players than DVD+R.

I use caddied RAM discs for watch & wipe stuff, non-caddied for archiving as I can copy it to my H/D, do a precise edit and burn to DVD-R (I've got the LG4040B).

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Look at Philips as Tosh machines and some sonys are S-video or YUV capture.
    An RGB capture card is on its way after Xmas Dr-m so that might help you!

10. willncc

willncc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question for ShaunIOW...(or anyone else that can help)

I've just bought the E50, and the DVD-RAM is great for watch'n'wipe. Main use is going to be for my missus to take stuff in for school (history teacher), so I need to burn it onto a -R. My DVD drive on my PC is able to read the RAM disc ok (using PowerDVD), but am a bit stuck with burning it onto -R. Was going to experiment by writing onto a -RW (and don't actually have any spare -Rs at the mo), but if I try and copy on the fly, it seems to wnat to force me to finalize the disc (which I don't really want to do on a -RW), and am struggling to create an image file (using Nero 6). Anyone got any recommendations, or am I best buying a stash of -Rs am copying on the fly....

Hope that makes sense!!!!!

Cheers

EDIT!! - sorry guys, just seen the sticky entitled DVD-RAM to DVD-R!!! Doh!

11. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    willncc

Why don't you just write to -rw on the panasonic E50?

12. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    It can't do that. The JVC's will though.

13. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh dear - I guess he doesn't want to change his brand new Panasonic for a JVC. I'm stunned that such a well quoted recorder as the E50 can't do RW or have I misunderstood?

14. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    The E50 just uses RAM as its RW media. Functions like timeslip can only be done with RAM.

15. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba does not have RGB in.Only Philips and Panasonic do,although new models coming soon should correct the problem on other brands

16. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hornydragon

thanks for your input... what is the card you refer to? any links to details?

cheers

dr_m

17. pio5100h

pio5100h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You are correct in putting trust in brands like Panasonic.
    I opted for a pioneer (5100H with HDD) that can write to (besides HD) DVD-R and DVD-RW format(ted) discs.
    I have been following the + stories and related issues for months.
    Although the format is OK (even great), the implementations are not (yet?).
    At this time, unless you want crashes, firmware upgrades and/or frequent visits to your local shop for a refund, a reputable brand of '-' machines is recommendable (at this time anyway).
    Future machines will probably be 'multi-format', like the Sony effort, but at this time you will have to decide which you put most of your trust and money on.

18. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy it from Richer Sounds with a 3 year gurantee and they will buy it back off you for 50% of it's value in 3 years time :)

Regards

Dude