1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to DV... a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Orbitalzone, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Everybody!

I'm looking to get into DV editing on my PC, but it's old... a PIII 800Mhz with 256 ram...

Will a basic firewire card and software (I'm thinking of around £100 for card/software) do for a DV novice and how long would my spec PC take to actually render the finished edit, say a 25 minute home movie?

I'm planning to burn straight to DVDr within the PC...

any help welcome!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Your PC will work fine for DV editing, but you must be running Windows98SE or later. DV cards do NOT work on Win98 or earlier.
    To start with you could get a basic firewire card & software for around £30 and update the software later if the bug bites.
    Rendering times will also improve drastically if you were to upgrade just the memory on your PC. A 256Mb DIMM will only cost around £20. Check what your motherboard can take, but on a PIII m/b you should have no problems. There are too many variables to give exact rendering times, but should be no more than overnight :eek: . This sounds a lot but is what I do when rendering footage on a PIV with 512Mb RAM.
    Also remember you will need LOTS of disk space, and a separate disk for footage is recommended. 4 minutes of footage captured at full quality will take 1Gb of disk space, and you will need more spaced to edit/render etc.

Mark.

3. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks for the reply!

Now where's my wallet?

;)