New to DIY. Help with Rega Planar 2 RCA replacement

JeremyFife

Standard Member
Hi, hope you can help with what is probably a stupidly simple question ... I have inherited a Rega Planar 2 turntable (nice) but the RBS phono plugs have been snipped off. I was going to just attach new plugs (solderless) but I'm stuck.
The two wires coming out of the turntable seem to be just a single copper core - i.e. Its multi-strand copper, but no shielding.
How do I wire that! Does it just attach to the centre pin of the plug?
I'm no electrician and can't seem to find any online help (all examples show shielding).
I think the arm is the RB250

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The RB250's cable should be a pair of coaxial cables, as all of your online help examples show (actually that applies to all TT cartridges without a ground wire). I therefore suspect that there is more wrong than just somebody's cutting of the RCA phono plug pair. I suggest you get a Rega dealer to take a proper look.

(BTW, since the Rega Planar 2 doesn't have any grounding, the wire you describe also can't be the ground).

MaryWhitehouse

BTW, since the Rega Planar 2 doesn't have any grounding, the wire you describe also can't be the ground

Could very easily have if it’s been rewired on the last 30 or so years.

oscroft

There would definitely have been four connections originally, two for each channel - coming from the four wires at the cartridge end. Can you should us a photo of what the wires in yours look like?

Oh, and you say you think the arm is the RB250 - is it a straight black one?

JeremyFife

Standard Member
Thank you all for your replies. I've just had my Homer Simpson moment "Doh". Untwisting the copper more did reveal that the cables are actually shielded and I can see what I do with them now. Yes, the arm is straight and black and nicely chunky. Thanks again :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom