New to Digital SLR's......

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by BIGRED, Apr 26, 2007.

1. BIGRED

BIGRED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Sorry for starting another one of these threads :( but i am looking for some advice regarding my first slr ....... really enjoy taking pictures ( i find my self composing shots in my head while walking about ..... sad i know) but i have only been using my compact canon camera and think its time i moved on ...

I've been thinking about getting the Canon 400d , first off what is a good price to pay for this and what kind of lenses would i be looking at (land scapes , portraits and action shots) I'm kinda new to all this and know very little about lenses etc

Again sorry if this has all been too vauge , feel free to ignore !!!!

2. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Hi BIGRED,

You'll find plenty of threads regarding first steps into DSLR (I've started/read numerous of them), and the Canon 400d is indeed one of the very popular choices for people getting into the photography game.

Personally, I'm going for a Nikon D40 due to the budget I have to play with, and I think the general thought on this subject is to narrow your choices down to a few that you think will be suitable, and then get to Jessops/Currys and have a play with them. I did, and was hooked on the D40 as soon as I picked it up - for me, the Canon 400d just didn't 'feel' right in my hand - personal preference plays a big part.

With regards to price, I would recommend you keep a regular eye on www.camerapricebuster.co.uk who provide daily updates on all things Canon and Nikon, from cameras/lenses etc. It's a very good website indeed.

Best of luck :thumbsup:

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Hi BIGRED

You will really be sorry you started this off when the info starts coming:eek:!
    get yourself some Panadol ready:)

I would suggest you take some time to have a look at these threads Ive linked, many of your questions would more than likely have been answered, then if you have any more
    post again
    Trust me.. it will make your life a bit easier

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504740
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513330
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512417
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509598

Good luck:thumbsup:

4. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Senu is spot on with this - the reading up on all this will drive you mad. You'll decide on the Canon, then you'll read great things about the Nikon, then someone will suggest the Sony Alpha, then you'll go back to the Canon (you get the idea)......you should be able to get all the information you need from the quoted threads above....enjoy!

5. BIGRED

BIGRED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    :thumbsup: Thanks alot guys , i'll have a look at the threads you've mentioned. Your not wrong about giving myself a headache , i am the most indecisive person ever when it comes to buying stuff!!!! I'll get started on my research then !!!!