1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to camcorders - advice needed

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by kitbit, Jul 24, 2005.

1. kitbit

kitbit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I want to purchase a camcorder for the first time to use on holiday. I have seen a Sony HC19 and HC22 and am undecided whether to spend the extra for the docking station.

I have read on other threads that the docking station is useful when using at first, as it is easier to keep looking at on the PC without keep messing with cables. Not really an issue, as I would be likely to take it out all day.

In that case is it worth it?

Also, a question about batteries - do both models recharge the battery whilst in the camera? I would like to buy an extra battery to enable more filming whilst out and about - would I need to buy a battery charger also? How long do batteries take to charge?

As for as editing and AV In/Out goes - I would not be returning to add to the filming, but would like to be able to delete any unwanted bits. Do I need to buy some software?

I basically want the camera to film some footage of holidays, delete any rubbish I film, and then watch the film on TV.

Any advice appreciated

2. Moral Architect

Moral Architect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Kitbit.

I've recently bought a HC22 and am very pleased with it. Aswell as the docking station you also get DV-In with the HC22, which means you can transfer your edited film from the computer back to the camcorder. I don't know whether this is available on the HC19.

The battery that comes with the camera is a basic Sony one. It lasts for about an hour running time and takes two hours to charge up. There are better batteries available that last a lot longer, but you will have to pay a lot more for these, but in the long run is probably a better option. The batteries charge up in the camcorder when the power cable is connected to the mains and I also think it charges up whilst in the docking station, so no separate charger is needed.

I have seen compatible batteries available which are a lot cheaper, but I don't know whether these will mess up the camcorder or not. It's probably better to buy genuine batteries.

Regards

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    A second battery is almost certainly required. As already stated the supplied batteries will only last about an hour (1 DV tape) and that is probably without useing the LCD screen.
    AFAIK all Sony consumer cams charge the battery on the cam. Another charger can be handy if out & about you can leave a spare charging, but certainly not required.

How will you view your footage? If you want to create a DVD to watch on the TV then DV-in is not needed. If you want to edit and then copy back to the cam this can only be done if the cam has DV-in enabled. AV-in is not required for this. AV-in is used for connecting analogue devices to the cam for transfer to a PC or capture to a DV tape - such as a VHS tape to then create a DVD etc.
    If your PC is running Windows XP then you already have a good editing package called Movie Maker 2. This is great if all you want to do is copy the footage back to a DV tape or watch on the PC, but it can not create a DVD. To do that you will need to buy some DVD authoring software such as DVD Movie Factory (around £30) or use whatever came with your DVD burner (assuming you have one).

Mark.

4. kitbit

kitbit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think got AV mixed up with DV - the HC22 has DV in/out but the HC19 only has DV out. I have not yet got a DVD writer so until I upgrade the PC (which is needed for various other reasons) I will watch on TV and I believe I can copy onto a VHS tape by plugging the camera into the video - is this correct?

I expect that when I do some filming there will be useless bits that I will want to remove - it sounds as though the HC22 would be the better choice so I can edit on the PC, put back on the camera, then plug into the video to put on VHS - is this correct?

I think I have read that the camera needs to be on the docking station to charge so I would have to take the station on holiday - is this correct?

I am currently running Windows 98SE but am considering upgrading to XP anyway - so if the Movie Maker comes with this, I should be OK except for the fact that I can't see anything that looks like it might be a firewire port at the back of my PC - what can I do about this? (told you it needed upgrading)

Thanks

5. Moral Architect

Moral Architect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The camcorder doesn't need to be connected to the docking station to charge. There is a socket at the bottom of the camcorder that can be used to charge it

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Yes, this is correct. Most camcorders should be supplied with the cable to do this.
    As long as your camcorder has DV-in then you can copy the footage directly to VCR if you don't want to write it to a DV tape first (but I suggest you do as a safe backup!) and therefore the camcorder is just a digital to analogue converter.
    Thankfully MA has already answered this one, as I don't know the cam.
    You can add an internal PCI firewire card that plugs directly onto the motherboard the same as a soundcard etc. These cost about £10 - £20 online and will be supplied with a firewire cable.

Mark.