• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New to calibration

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I have just bought a JVC HD100 and will be installing soon. Would people recommend that I get a pro in to set up and calibrate (unit is exdem and calibrated for their room/Kit) Or should I get reading and buy an eye one meter and set up disc :confused:

Avi

Distinguished Member
I have just bought a JVC HD100 and will be installing soon. Would people recommend that I get a pro in to set up and calibrate (unit is exdem and calibrated for their room/Kit) Or should I get reading and buy an eye one meter and set up disc :confused:

It really depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you are prepared to dedicate to DIY calibration. Also with a lamp based display the characteristics of lamp output changes with use. This means ISF or out of the box settings will need adjusting to remain reasonably accurate. The DIY route is more cost effective at adjusting for this.

It can be a bit daunting getting to grips with the concepts involved and it is a very iterative process. Once your knowledge and confidence grows it becomes more rewarding. One of the downsides of the DIY route is the accuracy/type of meters available at the lower cost end. A pro will typcially use a combination of a Spectroradiometer and/or light meter/colorimeter to achieve best results in different areas of calibration. Also it can become frustrating depending on the range and level of adjustment provided by the PJ. That said with a decent meter, some knowledge and good software you should be able to achieve good DIY results in most areas apart from colour on the HD100.

The step by step calibration guide using HCFR at http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457 is pretty easy to follow.

If you get stuck you can always call in an ISF pro and watch how they do and it for future ref that may help.

AVI

Last edited:

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
It really depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you are prepared to dedicate to DIY calibration. Also with a lamp based display the characteristics of lamp output changes with use. This means ISF or out of the box settings will need adjusting to remain reasonably accurate. The DIY route is more cost effective at adjusting for this.

It can be a bit daunting getting to grips with the concepts involved and it is a very iterative process. Once your knowledge and confidence grows it becomes more rewarding. One of the downsides of the DIY route is the accuracy/type of meters available at the lower cost end. A pro will typcially use a combination of a Spectroradiometer and/or light meter/colorimeter to achieve best results in different areas of calibration. Also it can become frustrating depending on the range and level of adjustment provided by the PJ. That said with a decent meter, some knowledge and good software you should be able to achieve good DIY results in most areas apart from colour on the HD100.

The step by step calibration guide using HCFR at http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457 is pretty easy to follow.

If you get stuck you can always call in an ISF pro and watch how they do and it for future ref that may help.

AVI

Ordered an eye one Display LT, going to get stuck in :devil: Thanks !

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom