New to AV receivers, maybe avr3806 on shopping list

stekke

Standard Member
Hi,

Can anybody help me out here, I have some connectivity issues towards my television set and I think a receiver might solve them. Currently I have a denon dvd player hooked up through dvi to my thomson lcd screen.

Now the thomson does't have many imputs, 1 scart(rgb), 1 svideo, 1 component, 1 progressive through dsub that has some copy protection problems and 1 dvi.

Problem is that all my connections are more or less in use and I need to attach more stuff to it. I offcourse want the best possible solution which I think would be the DVI input (is currently with the denon dvd awesome).

So here's my question. Is it possible to have just one cable from an av receiver to the lcd and have alll the other devices go to the receiver. The receiver would then have to switch the video signals.

I was looking at the denon avr380. It has hdmi output. Could I use an hdmi to dvi cable to connect it to the lcd. that way I would only need one cable to the tv.

Will I loose quality from my dvd player if it goes through the av receiver (dvd player is dvi)? With the hdmi to dvi from the receiver to the lcd, and dvi to hdmi from the dvd player to the reveiver what do I need to do about sound? Because dvi doesn't carry that.

Or should I just forget about this entire story all together.

Thanks,
Stekke.

Knyght_byte

well, sounds good, you shouldnt lose anything from the DVI-HDMI-amp-hdmi-TV point of view, assuming the cable runs are only a metre or so each.....

for the sound issue just buy a digital coax cable to run from DVD player to amp, then if you have surround or even just stereo speakers your sorted, or if you want to use the TV speakers then im sure the TV will have an input of some variety, even if its just using stereo phono to scart lead.....check your manual, but personally i'd say if your looking to splash on a 3806 you can afford a pair of separate speakers which will give much better results than what you get on a TV...lol

oh, and as for switching everything else through the amp, bear in mind that it will only upconvert signals, far as im aware it wont upscale them.....also you can only plug in composite, s-video, component and HDMI, you cant plug in RGB scart from a sky box, only s-video from a skybox....if you want to use RGB you will have to plug that straight to the TV from the source....so no switching on the amp for that one...

Freelancer

Knyght_byte said:
you cant plug in RGB scart from a sky box, only s-video from a skybox....if you want to use RGB you will have to plug that straight to the TV from the source....so no switching on the amp for that one...
He could connect the sky box to the amp by using an RGB to composite, or better still, an RGB to component cable. That way it'll plug into the amp and you can switch using the amp.

zerolight

Unless of course his LCD is like mine, and will only accept 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i throught he DVI connector. Therefore the digibox won't display on the TV. I had hoped that the 3806 would upscale to 1080i to get around that problem for me, but nope.

Knyght_byte

Freelancer said:
He could connect the sky box to the amp by using an RGB to composite, or better still, an RGB to component cable. That way it'll plug into the amp and you can switch using the amp.

i think if you want Scart RGB to component it costs a bomb as it needs a certain kind of cable...cant remember what it is now, i remember asking in sevenoaks, and possibly saw something on here.......wish i could remember what it was....or mebbe im wrong...heh

doesnt going from scart to composite lose the RGB aspect anyhow? might as well go scart to s-video or just s-video to s-video...

Trending threads

Trending threads

Top Bottom