New to automation....

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Danbo, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Danbo

Danbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im hoping one of you knowledgeable types can point me in the right direction as I am completely new to all this...

I am wanting to buy a universal remote (possibly a harmony) and use it to control all of my AV equipment and also the lighting throughout the house if that is possible.

I would ideally like remote dimming in the living room and the bedroom controlled with the remote and also to turn the neons behind the LCD on and off.

Can someone give me any ideas on what my options are please and whether this is all possible?

Thanks in advance.

2. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
  3. Danbo

Danbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep Ive already looked there (seems like the Harmony controls most things). I'm more after ideas on what sort of automation equipment is best with regards to the lights etc...

Dolmia X10 stuff worth getting?

4. laserdave

laserdave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Iv`e only been using x10 gear for a month or so and recommend some of these links for getting started info

http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/GuideToSA.asp (i-domus owned site)

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/index.php (dedicated HA forum).

In addition to some lamp/appliance modules you will need to get ir or rf codes from your harmony onto the mains wiring (IR 7243 for ir or TM13 for rf)

If you are going to add more than two or three modules and want to trigger them as a "scene" eg Turn off main light, turn on led/cold cathodes behind telly and have a table lamp at 20% then a harmony on its own will struggle to cope,at the least a CM12 is programmable from supplied PC software and can trigger several modules to perform different actions from one command, get serious about HA and the software to beat IMHO is homeseer which has a very active forum including a UK users section (some great info there even if you dont plump for the software) http://board.homeseer.com/

Hope this gives you a starting point.
    Dave

5. Danbo

Danbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thats great Laserdave, just the sort of thing I was after.

Many thanks. Time for some reading.

6. rob_talisman

rob_talisman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Completely Agree. If your looking to get more involved within HA then software based is definately the way to go.

And then you will really want to have a dedicated PC running 24/7. That way you will be able to control all Lights/Camera/Heating etc etc.

You can also use your Remote then to control Just one task that will turn everything On/OFF.

I press ON on my remote. Sub Turns On. Projector Turns On, Amp Turns On. Screen Comes Down. Lights go Out.

Then when you start Playing If your watching TV (pc based like mine,) or a DVD etc if someone comes to the door you can have the Screen Pause and Your Lights Come on. And if you have a camera you can have the camera Pic dispaly on Screen.