New to Apple, what iPad do i go for ?

Ivor_Biggern

Ive not owned an Ipad before, ive done a bit of research including watching a few youtube reviews. The main use for the Ipad will be watching movies, general browsing, youtube and general internet use. Also do i .go for Wifi, or Wifi + Cellular ? I'll be using the ipad at work in different locations around the country + at home

Ive narrowed it down to 3

Ipad Air A14 chip (The latest version)

Ipad Pro (The latest version)

Ipad Pro 11 (The latest version)

The Ipad Pro 11 is interesting, does that have the exact same internal spec like processor, graphics and ram etc as the full sized pro but with a smaller screen ? In the long run would i regret going for a smaller screen ?

Also, if im considering going for one that has a cellular would it be better to wait for the 5g versions possibly next year ?

Danial

For your use case, the iPad Air will be more than enough. Regarding cellular, depends if you want to pay for an additional plan - personally I would just stick to WiFi and use your phone as a hotspot if you’re really desperate.

bransoj

In terms of Wifi and Wifi+Cellular i just went for Wifi and never had an issue. On the odd occasion i've had to use in a place i didnt have wifi i just tethered off my phone and it worked fine, only possible issue is if you do that for a long time it can get through your phone battery a bit quicker.

You should only go for a cellular ipad if you think you will be using it a lot in places where you need internet and dont have access to wifi.

Ivor_Biggern

Only prob for me with tethering/hotspot is i'm with EE, they don't do any unlimited data phone packages, currently i have 80GB of data a month on my phone deal.

Danial

Only prob for me with tethering/hotspot is i'm with EE, they don't do any unlimited data phone packages, currently i have 80GB of data a month on my phone deal.

80GB should be plenty, unless you’re streaming lots of movies, but at that point a little planning ahead and downloading over WiFi would fix that.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
100% the latest iPad Air, the A14 chip is every bit as good as the ones in Pro's.

eamon

No they're not the same. The Satechi is simply a USB hub with "converters" to SD, etc. The Hagibis one sports a SATA connection for compatible storage-drives such as HDD, SSHD or SSD.

Any SATA HDD or SSHD will do but the net performance through the hub will NOT test the SSD real performance so save your money there.
Id say 80gb would be plenty but if not they do offer unlimited data plans
FF55EBBC-C3FD-41FB-B8CA-1F76164885C8.png

RickyTip

I have just signed up to an EE unlimited data plan so they do do them.

For what you want to use it for, I don't even think you need an Air or a Pro.

Just a regular iPad will be fine.

In terms of Wifi and Wifi+Cellular i just went for Wifi and never had an issue. On the odd occasion i've had to use in a place i didnt have wifi i just tethered off my phone and it worked fine, only possible issue is if you do that for a long time it can get through your phone battery a bit quicker.

You should only go for a cellular ipad if you think you will be using it a lot in places where you need internet and dont have access to wifi.
I bought one with cellular and it was a waste of space. Think the advice given in the quoted post says it all.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Every iPad I've had has been a Cellular model inc my current iPad Pro 10.5”
Tethering's fine if you have a good 3G/4G signal from your network provider on your mobile but having a different Network SIM in your iPad gives you more options.

Ivor_Biggern

Thanks for all the deedback.

EE have only recently started to offer unlimited data plans, they never did them previously.

I've just taken out a really good 5g deal with EE for my phone, what I'm going to do is what to see if the ipad Pro comes with 5g next year, the rumours seem to think so. Its a lot to commit to an ipad pro at the min which will only be 4g, I plan to keep it for a few years so for me a cellular + WiFi would suit my needs best.

Ill just buy a £2 Sim for the Ipad and gift myself 5g data from my phone.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
If you go for the cellular you can just buy a SIM like this one off Amazon that’ll last for up to 24 months (as long as you don’t use all the data obviously)

Three Mobile Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband 24 GB data SIM
by Amazon
Learn more: Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom