1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to all this - need advice please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sionos, Nov 12, 2003.

1. sionos

sionos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All, I am new to all this stuff. As such I would love your help on starting some home cinema stuff. Currently my setup comprises of 2 Mission 731i speakers connected to a Harmon Kardon HK610 amp which i use for music and for tv i have a 32" Sony Widescreen tv complete with two bundled satellite speakers. The connecting speaker cables have been changed to some Gale XL315 cables. What I need to know is that if i buy an av receiver (Sony STRDE695) will my four speakers provide a good entry level surround sound coupled with my Sony DVP NS705 dvd player? Secondly as the dvd player is SACD compatible and the receiver is supposedly SACD ready will this all fit in nice or is there another avenue or tree that I should be barking up? Cheers all, your help, honesty and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, welcome to the slippery slope.

Did the satellite speakers you mention come with the TV? If so, bin them, if you've never heard a 5.1 soundtrack before you will be surprised how much sound comes out of the surround speakers, much more than with DPL. Keep your DVD and the missions and get yourself some new surround speakers - try mission bipoles such as the M7DS, and a centre speaker - mission M7C1. The sony receiver you mention has a 5.1 input so should be SACD compatible but I think you can do better for the money. check out the yamaha HTR5640 which has 6.1, and DPLII which is very useful for stereo source material such as your old VHS movies and even CDs etc. To enjoy 6.1 get another speaker for the back. you should be able to get hold of the yamaha, the M7DS and M7C1 for about £350.

3. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I assume you mean M73i not M731i correct.

If you have M73i speakers definatly get the Mission M7c2 center speaker, it a far far superior center to the poor M7c1 center.

I was the first on the forum and one of the first in the UK to get a M7c2, it is the perfect match for the Mission M7 series speakers.